6 replies to this topic

#1 John Michael Corey

John Michael Corey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:31 PM

In an article on the American Cinematographer website (http://www.ascmag.co...odiac/page1.php), Harris Savides, ASC had this to say after using the VIPER to film Zodiac,

My ideal would be for Thomson to come up with a modular version of the Viper with different imaging-chip sets, one set for highlights and one for the toe, just as we can choose different film stocks for different situations. There is no all-around film stock, so how can we expect a single digital camera to do everything?

Does anyone know if Jim Jannard & RED have plans to manufacture different RED camera bodies with specialized imaging-chip sets?

#2 Rainer Fritz

Rainer Fritz
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:27 AM

In an article on the American Cinematographer website (http://www.ascmag.co...odiac/page1.php), Harris Savides, ASC had this to say after using the VIPER to film Zodiac,
Does anyone know if Jim Jannard & RED have plans to manufacture different RED camera bodies with specialized imaging-chip sets?

As the name says it is the red ONE. There are plans to make a RED MINI. A very small version of the existing one but no more details are known.

regards
rainer

#3 Rainer Fritz

Rainer Fritz
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:40 AM

if a new chip set will be out, you will be able to change it.

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

Development costs for a chip are huge, so I wouldn't expect it to be their top priority. Getting their current design manufactured and shipped is most likely what they're thinking about right now.

-- J.S.

#5 John Michael Corey

John Michael Corey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:47 PM

I understand that RED is busy delivering "basic" RED ONE cameras right now, but i'm not going to underestimate their productivity, imagination, or resolve. Who knows? Maybe one of the email "gifts" will be cpu instructions that enable the current imaging-chip set to be recalibrated for different extremes: highlights & toe. RED did say there would be surprises...

The RED ONE will go through many evolutions before there's a RED TWO, which i'm guessing will be an 8k or greater camera. Just my guess.

#6 Gavin Greenwalt

Gavin Greenwalt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:16 AM

I would say there is no All-Around-All-Weather-All-Terrain chip... *YET*.

When you have 32 bits of color precision and 18 stops of latitude on a chip... just dial it into the LUT. You'll be able to simulate the exact color response of any film stock on the planet.

I dearly hope multi-chip cameras aren't the future. Let's keep our eyes forward shall we!

#7 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

I would say there is no All-Around-All-Weather-All-Terrain chip... *YET*.

When you have 32 bits of color precision and 18 stops of latitude on a chip...

One idea would be to mimic in part how film works, by having a mix of large and small photosites, and/or using some ND in addition to the colors overlaid on the chip. The downside would be that everything would be even farther undersampled.

-- J.S.

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam