#1 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hi folks,

I was thinking of snatching up a couple of Zeiss 35mm T2.2 Primes in Arri Std mount. 16, 24, 32 and 50mm for around 1500 USD. Would you consider that a good deal? I plan on using these on a S16 NPR with Arri B mount. Thanks!

Cheers, Dave

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:40 AM

Anyone? Please? Pretty please, with sugar on top and a cherry?

Thanks, Dave

#3 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

I'll use them, they are sharp, they are fast, the best idea is for you to try them... pretty much

Best

#4 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:19 PM

I'll use them, they are sharp, they are fast, the best idea is for you to try them... pretty much

Yep. Trouble is, these lenses are in Israel. So not easy to go there and test them...

Cheers, Dave

#5 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

David,
I used the 16mm and the 24mm last year on a short. I used them on a CP16R with arri standard to cp adapter. I was very pleased with the results. It really is all about the glass. When it comes to older lenses, there are only a small hand full that I would consider using. For primes the Zeiss T2.2 series and some Cooke series II & IIIs are nice. For zooms, the Angenieux 9.5-57hec, the Cooke 9-50 and the Zeiss 10-100 T3.

#6 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:01 AM

David,
I used the 16mm and the 24mm last year on a short. I used them on a CP16R with arri standard to cp adapter. I was very pleased with the results. It really is all about the glass. When it comes to older lenses, there are only a small hand full that I would consider using. For primes the Zeiss T2.2 series and some Cooke series II & IIIs are nice. For zooms, the Angenieux 9.5-57hec, the Cooke 9-50 and the Zeiss 10-100 T3.

Thanks Robert. I agree with your recommendations, the problem is that the Zeiss and the Angeenieux zooms won't cover S16 at the wide end. I guess that I like the idea of being able to use my primes on a 35mm camera as well, should a heap of money fly my way ;)

Any more input anyone? Experiences using 35mm glass on S16?

Cheers, Dave

#7 Oron Cohen

Oron Cohen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel-Aviv/London

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hey David,

If you could say to me the name of the company that you are planning to buy from, maybe I could say to you if they can be trusted or not.
You can also PM me if you like; maybe I could dig out some more detail for you.

Oron.

#8 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:07 PM

David,
It is true that the Angenieux 9.5-57, Zeiss 10-100T3 and Cooke 9-50 will not cover the full super 16 frame. Each of these lenses cover fairly well in 1.85:1 Just something to keep in mind.

#9 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:16 PM

David,
It is true that the Angenieux 9.5-57, Zeiss 10-100T3 and Cooke 9-50 will not cover the full super 16 frame. Each of these lenses cover fairly well in 1.85:1 Just something to keep in mind.

Yes I know. But I guess it would be wise to have lenses that cover at least 1.78:1 because of HDTV... But as I am a big fan of wide screen who knows. There's a nice 10-100 T3 lens for sale here in Vienna... But if I get these Zeiss primes I'd still need a wide angle or two. Any ideas for low cost wides that will cover S16? I've got the long end covered by my Nikkors for now, I'll use these on a Nikon F to C mount adapter.

Cheers, Dave

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

CineLab