#1 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

Is it me or does this trailer look so super-8? Meaning the registration is...Yuck!
Westsider Trailer

#2 Toby L Edwards

Toby L Edwards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

I think it looks great.
Toby

#3 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

Is it me or does this trailer look so super-8? Meaning the registration is...Yuck!
Westsider Trailer

What is so bad about looking "so super 8?" That is because it was shot on Super 8. I happen to think Charles Doran did a good job on the footage and Spectra did a good job on the telecine. I think if there is one thing I don't like, it's that he mixed too many different stocks together. However, that's also part of the appeal too. At least he made his venture educational.

Honestly, i think Super 8 nowadays can look better than what 16mm looked like decades ago. I have seen some pretty impressive footage from Super 8, but I guess it all comes down to opinion.

#4 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

The trailer has a well defined look, its very colorful, and everything, even the interiors have a lot of light. But listening to the VO it seems like they wanted to make a parody of a really glitzy, night-time soap opera style show. So personally, I don't think super 8 was a good format choice because the look is fighting the content. 24p SD video or pro-sumer HD would have been more in keeping with the style of show they are borrowing from. Also the inserted computer graphic was very out of place. I hope they will fix that.

#5 Toby L Edwards

Toby L Edwards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

The plyback from BLIP.TV is a littel jumpy. If you go to the WESTSIDER website ther use to be Quick time files you could download. They playback a little smoother.

Mathew'
I agree. The new Super 8 stocks looks great.

Toby

#6 Toby L Edwards

Toby L Edwards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

Ya'
I don't think The harsh, cold, over sharp look of video would work as well. In the short you go from the bright WESTSIDE "FUJI 50" look to the VALLEY less saturated look and I think it work with the story quite well.
Just my opinion.
Toby

#7 Mitch Perkins

Mitch Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:17 AM

Sorry, I found myself asking - who is this idiot?

http://www.roadsidea...p_AttrId==12816

"John not only wants artifacts and exhibits that disprove evolution, but that also have 'a great deal of buzzability.' For example, a planned exhibit of a spark plug encased in stone will show 'that rock can form quickly, which helps prove the idea that the Grand Canyon was laid within in weeks, months, years, after a worldwide flood -- not millions of years.' "

Ah, Google...'nuff said. ~:?)

Mitch

Edited by Mitch Perkins, 11 September 2007 - 02:20 AM.

#8 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:47 AM

Sorry, I found myself asking - who is this idiot?

http://www.roadsidea...p_AttrId==12816

"John not only wants artifacts and exhibits that disprove evolution, but that also have 'a great deal of buzzability.' For example, a planned exhibit of a spark plug encased in stone will show 'that rock can form quickly, which helps prove the idea that the Grand Canyon was laid within in weeks, months, years, after a worldwide flood -- not millions of years.' "

Ah, Google...'nuff said. ~:?)

Mitch

Mitch, I would refrain from making religious opinions on this forum. Also, referring to people as "idiot" is not professional and insults the integrity of this board. Further posts from you of this nature will be reported.

#9 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:41 AM

I'm totally confused. The images may appear "jumpy" on blip TV because the frame rate may be less than what it was originally shot at but the images themselves look really good.

#10 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:01 AM

Sometimes you get an overall impression when viewing something. I'm not criticizing the mans work per-se. After examining it again it is the handheld work along with the instability of the frame contrasted with the video generated shots that are of course smooth and steady and the handheld work of a camera only a few pounds that gives this trailer the over all impression of jerky, unprofessional look to it a Yucky super-8 look. Just my take on it. Which makes me either want to 1.) Buy single 8 and give it a try 2.) Have my next Beaulieu or Leicina serviced and use the framemaster. 3.) Always use a tripod 4.) Add a plate to the camera to weight it down before I do too much handheld work. And Mitch I love your posts and read then eagerly sorry you feel you needed to get personal about this last thread. Did you have something to do with this production?

Edited by John Adolfi, 11 September 2007 - 06:03 AM.

#11 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

i agree it looked bad. i like the crap registration in the time laps part. there are times when film movement lends to the scene, but really thats not good. handheld and bad registration is a horrible combination in most instances.

#12 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:35 PM

I think there are a few things they could do to shape up the look and feel of this film. 1) Image stabilization would really help the poor registration and hand held shooting. 2) A dirt fix pass. 3) Another color pass, I get it they they wanted cartoon like colors but look at the skin tones. They are inconsistent and unattractive. for example In the ext. shot of the man standing with the asian woman, they are both orange, the woman in particular (maybe the characters were involved in a tragic west side "fake and bake" tanning accident?). Again I am considering the genre of the film, I would think that they would want to make their talent look as good as possible. Certainly their use of wardrobe and makeup suggests that they wanted to achieve a certain level of LA style. What I see in the trailer is that saturation was the ultimate thing they were going for in color timing and other aspects of the image suffered. Just my 2 cents. Ultimately I'm very interested in seeing the film with sound! Its hard to get an idea of how well it works with picture only. Finally despite my criticisms, I still really dig the ambition and hard work that goes into any narrative project done on Super 8. Charles is alright in my book.

#13 Giles Perkins

Giles Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

On the Blip.tv page select "source mpeg-4" from the "select a format" button to see the best version. We default to Flash cos it means more people can see Super 8 flicks quicker!

Cheers

#14 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:01 AM

On the Blip.tv page select "source mpeg-4" from the "select a format" button to see the best version. We default to Flash cos it means more people can see Super 8 flicks quicker!

Cheers

I couldn't find this option and I looked for a while. Were you refering to the person who uploads a video rather than those who view it? Until I can see the trailer frame by frame, I pretty much disagree with all the negative comments. The look is terrific.

How dare someone make Super-8 look colorful. :ph34r:

#15 Raz Birger

Raz Birger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Israel

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

John, What you said wasn´t very nice, next time please be more pleasant when you criticize someone´s work. I´m sure you will be more respected :) .
But for now let´s forget about it and try to avoid anymore such incidents in the future.

I think the colors are very nice and if this is what Charles wanted for his film it's even great.
About the poor registration, it can be fixed, but I think I was stabilizing only a few shots where it doesn't look so good, because there are shots that aren't bad at all. The negatives look very steady near the other (reversal) footage, I hope the registration will be as good as in westsider with my 200T :) .
And Douglas, I have talked a bit with Charles, around six months ago and he told me it has only music and V.O. of the main character, good solution for Super-8 film with non-sync cameras.
The film looks very interesting and I would like to see it once B)

Raz.

#16 Giles Perkins

Giles Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

Alex,

On the page http://blip.tv/file/370767 under the image, text and star rating on the right hand side there is a drop down menu entitled "Play video in alternate format - select a format" - in there switch it to Source MPEG-4 and this will then play out the Quicktime high quality version. You will need Quicktime 7 to view.

Posted Image

#17 Toby L Edwards

Toby L Edwards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

Giles'
Thanks for the tip. The MPEG 4 LOOKS MUCH BETTER.
Now I have to go back and watch all the clips again.
Toby

#18 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:50 PM

Westsider Trailer

I found two shots with noticeable registration issues, the end time-lapse shot, and the shot where the lead is doing some martial arts pose. Those two shots represent such a tiny fragment of the entire trailer that to harp on that seems inane to me. Not only that, they come so far into the trailer that there is a lot more to like before those shots even come up.

Maybe the opening shot had a tiny bit of jumpiness in it, but the shot was well composed, it was a cinematic shot that stands above whether it had a tiny bit of jitter to it.

If you can't recognize kick ass spot on saturated color when you see it you shouldn't be criticizing anyones work.

#19 Mitch Perkins

Mitch Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

If you can't recognize kick ass spot on saturated color when you see it you shouldn't be criticizing anyones work.

The OP criticizes the Super 8 format itself, on the Super 8 forum; complaining, where the idea is to make the best of it.

Nothing to do with the work, "per-se". ~:?)

Mitch

#20 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:14 PM

Question: What do you mean by "spot on"? If you mean the ability to recognize the accuracy of color representation, you should know that humans have terrible color memory. We are cognitively not capable of remembering the value of a specific hue for more than a few seconds. So for example the yellow roller coaster in the trailer. Yes it is and was clearly yellow, but is the yellow we see on the film the same yellow that the coaster is on a sunny day? None of us can give an accurate answer to that question. Maybe you were getting at some thing else but I figured I'd mention this if for no other reasons than its an interesting fact and one that many folks don't know.

Second, its perfectly legit to be critical of a director's color choices if they are not right for the show. Some people will like the super saturated look of West Sider others won't. But I doubt that anyone posting here can't recognize that the colors are highly saturated. The question is how does that saturation impact the story telling. The OP has every right to be critical of that, and any other aspect of the production.

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

The Slider

CineTape