Joydepghosh

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

Friends

Please help me out to understand how to shoot a star studded night sky , with a character in foreground/ mid ground...The camera tracks through a corridoor to an open balcony where the character is sitting on a chair, camera stops at midshot of the character beyond whom we see the night sky full of stars. is it possible to do that without compositing or DI ? Though we have seen films where it was done and it was much before the digital era.

regards

J

#2 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

Friends

Please help me out to understand how to shoot a star studded night sky , with a character in foreground/ mid ground...The camera tracks through a corridoor to an open balcony where the character is sitting on a chair, camera stops at midshot of the character beyond whom we see the night sky full of stars. is it possible to do that without compositing or DI ? Though we have seen films where it was done and it was much before the digital era.

regards

J

No, I doubt this is possible, which is why you never really see it done. Even with a good 1/2 or 1/4 moon out, a DLSR at ISO 800 takes at least 20 or 30 seconds to expose for stars, so there would be no way to do that at 24p. It's got to be faked, as far as I know.

If you think back to a scene like one in the movie Contact, with Jodie Foster, there is a shot where she and McConaughey are sitting at the Arecibo telescope, looking up at the stars. It's totally composited.

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

Some would have been shot on a large stage with a very large starry sky back drop.

the easiest, but not best looking since all the stars are of equal brightness, is strings of tiny Xmas lights on a black backing.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

Some would have been shot on a large stage with a very large starry sky back drop.

the easiest, but not best looking since all the stars are of equal brightness, is strings of tiny Xmas lights on a black backing.

That can quickly be overcome. I did it in school by cutting several very irregularly shaped pieces of window screen and taping it in front of the lights. The irregular shape makes the pattern of bright and dimmer light effectively random.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

You can always shoot day for night, using a polarizer to really saturate the blue sky and basically use the sky like a bluescreen.

This was done to great effect on "The Proposition".

By the way, "compositing" isn't something that's only been around in the digital era. The footage Joy has seen is probably done with old school optical effects or even matte paintings.

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS