3 replies to this topic

#1 Gencer Hassan

Gencer Hassan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

Hi, i'm looking into getting a polarizing filter for my nizo 6080. However i'm unsure about the tread size. I read somewhere that its an 80mm thread ?

Or perhaps someone could tell me which one on this website is the correct size.
http://www.hama.co.u...isers/index.hsp

Thanks
Gencer

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

The thread of the Schneider Macro-Variogon 1:1,4 / 7-80 mm lens fitted to the Nizo 6080 is 67mm.

So you would need filter "00072567 Hama Polarising Filter Circular, 67,0 mm" for 34 Sterling.

However, may I suggest to maybe avoid purchasing a filter by Hama and rather go for one made by B+W or Tiffen? They are more expensive, but of a visibly better quality. Depending on what you are shooting on Super 8, this might be a worthwhile investment.

By the way: do you own a Nizo 6080 (series 2) above whiches lens you find the 'UWL' marking inbetween the '0' and 'macro' markings, or do you have one without the 'UWL' marking (a series 1)?

#3 Gencer Hassan

Gencer Hassan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the hama as they are dirt cheap, however as you say a tiffen is probably a better investment. I'll be mostly shooting outdoors stuff with it.

Looking at my 6080 i believe its a series 2 model. It has above the lens a 0, red dot, uwl, macro (in red), macro (in white). Are the threads different for series 2 ?

#4 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the hama as they are dirt cheap, however as you say a tiffen is probably a better investment. I'll be mostly shooting outdoors stuff with it.

Looking at my 6080 i believe its a series 2 model. It has above the lens a 0, red dot, uwl, macro (in red), macro (in white). Are the threads different for series 2 ?

Yes, you have a series 2 model (which uniquely feature the 'UWL' marking)

No, series 2 models have a thread of 67mm in diameter. I just wanted to double-check on that (it's listed in the manual). You can easily measure the diameter with a simple metering rule, just to be absolutely certain.

The lenses used on Nizo 6080 series 1 and series 2 are quite different constructions. The series 1 version of the Schneider Macro-Variogon 1:1,4 / 7-80 mm is also found on the Nizo 4080, while the variation used for the Nizo 6080 series 2 is unique to it.

Considering the reported problems of some series 2 lenses having reduced optical resolving power due to lackluster quality control, I would want to avoid putting "more cheap glass" in front of it. I think your Nizo 6080 would hence merit a Tiffen or B+W :)

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Opal

Abel Cine