5 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

I'm prepping a new film and the director is in love with the idea of shooting it in Anamorphic. We'll very likely be going through Clairmont for our gear and I recall seeing a short a few years back that had an interesting look and was shot at very wide stops on the Clairmont Anamorphics; no idea if that's the direction we'll go, but I'm curious.

I'm working out scheduling to go shoot some tests of my own, but was wondering if anyone had any experience/opinions regarding them.

Thanks!

#2 Bobby Shore

Bobby Shore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles / Montreal

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:34 PM

I'm prepping a new film and the director is in love with the idea of shooting it in Anamorphic. We'll very likely be going through Clairmont for our gear and I recall seeing a short a few years back that had an interesting look and was shot at very wide stops on the Clairmont Anamorphics; no idea if that's the direction we'll go, but I'm curious.

I'm working out scheduling to go shoot some tests of my own, but was wondering if anyone had any experience/opinions regarding them.

Thanks!

what up homeboy,

which brand are the clairmont anamorphics. I shot a commercial a couple years ago with these really nice Todd AO anamorphics that I got from clairmont...they were probably 40 years old, had a really nice soft look to the glass, flared with a nice white veil, and, I swear, most of them opened to a 2 (and I had one that was 1.4)... I shot them all at 4 for night work and 5.6 for day work. They definitely have a look to them. they breath like crazy though on the short end. would be curious to see an anamorphic like that shot at 1.4.

Anyways, hope that helps in some way ot another. Good luck man.

Bobby Shore
DP
LA/Montreal

#3 Bobby Shore

Bobby Shore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles / Montreal

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:36 PM

what up homeboy,

which brand are the clairmont anamorphics? I shot a commercial a couple years ago with these really nice Todd AO anamorphics that I got from clairmont...they were probably 40 years old, had a really nice soft look to the glass, flared with a nice white veil, and, I swear, most of them opened to a 2 (and I had one that was 1.4)... I shot them all at 4 for night work and 5.6 for day work. They definitely have a look to them. they breath like crazy though on the short end. would be curious to see an anamorphic like that shot at 1.4.

Anyways, hope that helps in some way ot another. Good luck man.

Bobby Shore
DP
LA/Montreal

#4 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

which brand are the clairmont anamorphics.

The ones labeled Clairmont use Shiga anamorphic sections.
I think they were put together by Kish Optics.

#5 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:30 AM

Look here for more on Clairmont lenses
Anamorphic Lenses (by Max Jacoby)

Here are some scans from an older Clairmont ad in AC with a list of anamorphics available back then.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Christian Appelt, 16 September 2007 - 08:34 AM.

#6 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:47 AM

I did a project over summer where we used them. VERY light, and small for anamorphics. Manufactured by Kish Optics for Clairmont. I would recommend taking them up to the lens test room upstairs and put them on a projector. Learn where the different lenses fall off focally. Do a lot of testing.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery