#1 JASON GORDON

JASON GORDON

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

Hello all fellow film makers my name is Jason I am a recent film student and am in the process of getting production together for a reality series pilot. I am interested if anyone has any suggestions/experience with capturing sound in a room using a hidden camera. Think of situations in a room like on THE REAL WORLD ON MTV i want to have hidden cams setup and be able to hear what is going on , I am shooting this in NEWPORT BEACH in ORANGE COUNTY and have no experience in this department of hidden camera sound techniques, I would be interested in someone who could offer their services as well if interested in jumping onboard there is a budget so there would be pay involved, Also i am well aware that this is a sound forum but i am also interested in anyone with experience with hidden cams as well ,or suggestions of cameras to use and rental houses either in OC or LA . thanks !

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:42 PM

It's not clear to me to what extent you will have control over positioning of mics etc in the room but basically I'm guessing you will have to use some kind of omnidirectional mic. I expect the best thing might be an omnidirectional lav mic. They are tiny cheap and easily hidden. You could run a couple of these to different parts of the room to try and pick up more of the person as they move around perhaps. I'm not sure how big your room is or how it is furnished which will probably affect the kind of solution you need to resort to.

Obviously the sound quality from an omni will be quite different from conventional movie shotgun mikes with tight polar pattens so you might need to consider this kind of thing as well. An omni mic will pick up a lot more room tone etc.

love

Freya

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

Think of situations in a room like on THE REAL WORLD ON MTV i want to have hidden cams setup and be able to hear what is going on , I am shooting this in NEWPORT BEACH in ORANGE COUNTY and have no experience in this department of hidden camera sound techniques, I would be interested in someone who could offer their

I've not seen this tv programme but I'm guessing this is a bit like big brother or something and the people know they are being filmed and are in a controlled environment.

If you have complete control of the environment you can alter the acoustics of the room. Add soft furnishings etc. You can also do things like give people a sofa to sit on but hide more directional microphones to pick up sound from the sofa as you know they may be there.

In that kind of environment you could have a sound mixer with a number of directional and omnidirectional microphones and switch microphones as people move about the space so you get people as close as possible to a microphone.

love

Freya

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:53 PM

If you have control over the room I advise making it as acoustically dead as possible. Carpeting, heavy drapes, upholstered furniture, large thick fabric areas on the walls (think burlap in canvas painting stretchers with air conditioning duct board behind it), etc., etc. The deader you make the room the less restrictive mike placement will be and the better your sound is going to come out.

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera