Photo

REALITY SHOW PILOT... WHAT CAMERAS TO USE ??????

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JASON GORDON

JASON GORDON

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:29 PM

Hello all my name is Jason I am a recent film student and am in the process of budgeting out a pilot for a reality tv series concept. I am in the process of deciding which cameras to use to capture this show, and factors involved would ofcourse be something that is ideal to record in a reality tv show environment, affordability( if there is an outseasoned camera that will do the job and save me 50 bucks on the day rate it'll work for me) with this is should say we are looking to shoot in HD 720p or 1080 makes no difference to me unless you have any pros or cons as far as the workflow process may be involved (editing ...). Was curious if anyone knew what cameras are being used for todays reality shows for Example THE REAL WORLD, This pilot is in the pre production process obviously and we have a budget and that is what im currently working on , This will be shot in NEWPORT BEACH in the OC and If anyone has the access to a rental package thinking 3 cameras, has the time to contribute (yes there will be pay) and has the right kind of energy to make it happen then i would be interested in your services as well, but any tips , suggestions would be most appreciated. Also I am planning on utilizing multiple hidden cams if anyone has experience and or suggestions on products out there as well that would be great. Im trying to make it happen those with the same ambition i welcome .

Thanks , Jason G.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:07 AM

Don't discount standard def cameras for shooting a pilot, or even an airable show for that matter. Digibeta cameras or something like a Panasonic SDX-900 or Sony DSR-450 are excellent cameras for reality TV. Even Betacam SP cameras were in use for reality TV long before "720P" became part of our language...

When it comes to the "reality" of production the ergonomics and operability of a proper 2/3" ENG camera play a huge part. Professional camera operators can quickly get the shots they need with these familiar tools. Prosumer 1/3" chip cameras can be used, but they don't lend themselves to the same kind of operating as a proper ENG configuration. The exception might be the JVC HD-100/200 series, which are essentially prosumer HD cameras in a more traditional ENG camera-like configuration.

For hidden cameras you go with whatever works. But for the main unit, try to get the best cameras you can.

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Opal

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies