#1 Lance Flores

Lance Flores
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Producer
  • San Antonio/Dallas/Detroit

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

Not impressed with the Color application that Apple acquired for FCP. It appears it only works for HD and 2K files. Does anyone else have a coloring product that will work with FCP?

#2 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:09 AM

Not impressed with the Color application that Apple acquired for FCP. It appears it only works for HD and 2K files. Does anyone else have a coloring product that will work with FCP?

er no it does- it works from SD to 2K. and i am very impressed with it, final touch (its predecessor) was great but floored, this apart from a few minor bugs is the best grading aplication available on a non turnkey system. I have supervised a number of grades on it and graded a commercial on it myslef. in 32 bit float. with several secondary grades and tracked windows. what exactly were you unimpressed about?

#3 Bobby Shore

Bobby Shore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles / Montreal

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:46 PM

er no it does- it works from SD to 2K. and i am very impressed with it, final touch (its predecessor) was great but floored, this apart from a few minor bugs is the best grading aplication available on a non turnkey system. I have supervised a number of grades on it and graded a commercial on it myslef. in 32 bit float. with several secondary grades and tracked windows. what exactly were you unimpressed about?

yeah man, I have to agree with Keith... I just finished timing a feature using Color, and I have nothing but great things to say about it. For my experience, it was just as good as sitting in on a tape to tape in a da vinci (as long as you have a good timer working with you).

Bobby Shore
DP
LA/Montreal

#4 Lance Flores

Lance Flores
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Producer
  • San Antonio/Dallas/Detroit

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

yeah man, I have to agree with Keith... I just finished timing a feature using Color, and I have nothing but great things to say about it. For my experience, it was just as good as sitting in on a tape to tape in a da vinci (as long as you have a good timer working with you).

Bobby Shore
DP
LA/Montreal

Okay, thanks guys. I'll take another look. It comes with our FCPs, I'll just look for a "good timer" colourist, whomever . . . Thanks

#5 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:23 AM

Okay, thanks guys. I'll take another look. It comes with our FCPs, I'll just look for a "good timer" colourist, whomever . . . Thanks

Lance,

with a proper control panel, a tangent for example, and a colourist who has learnt color or is is a fast learner you can get great results. from recent tests i'd suggest conforming and then converting master reels into dpx files then chopping up in color with edl cut lists- this gets the best fps (damn close to realtime with the right hard drive set up).

good luck,

keith

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

The Slider

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio