#1 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

What kind of results can i expect if I under expose 7285 1 stop, and push process 1 stop? Will it be more contrasty and saturated? or just milky and grainy?

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

This is basically Kodak's E100 slide film in MP form. The line is optimized for pushing and pulling, as are really all slide films (though the E200 is better, too bad it's not available in 16 or 35mm MP), so you'll see a buildup in contrast and a slight increase in grain. You'll only get maybe 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop of true speed increase with slides, whereas C-41 and ECN-2 use contrast buildups to hide the loss of shadow detail, so IMO, pushing slides a stop is better than pushing negatives, as you actually do gain some speed because of the nature of B&W development, which is basically what the first developer in the E6 process is.

Now, if you want to be really picky and enhance the contrast even more, a lot of chrome shooters will underexpose their reversal film 1/3 of a stop (now keep in mind you have to be VERY careful metering reversal, or you can ruin your shots), so you could underexpose 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 stops and get even more saturation and contrast out of it, but be careful not to block up detail in the shadows.

Regards,

~KB

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

The Slider