Richard Benjumea

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director
  • Silver Spring,MD

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

I'm pretty familiar with how still photography Light Graffiti is made, yet to animate it and make a video like the one on the link is still out of my grasp. Can someone tell me how to animate light drawings like in the video, i know its probably time lapse, but is it done on a video camera, or still, or is it as simple as editing the pics together and making it into a slideshow???

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

I'm pretty familiar with how still photography Light Graffiti is made, yet to animate it and make a video like the one on the link is still out of my grasp. Can someone tell me how to animate light drawings like in the video, i know its probably time lapse, but is it done on a video camera, or still, or is it as simple as editing the pics together and making it into a slideshow???

I would do it with a DSLR. You can then import the frames into quicktime as an image sequence and output a quicktime movie.

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

Making of video for sprints commercial (similar technique)

Also I think AC mag has an article a few months back that had a write up on that music video, though I don't have my collection handy to tell you what month. I remember seeing the commercial the first time and getting really excited, and hoping (without believing) that it was shot practicle.

I think as I recall they used a D20 DSLR or something like that on a long exposure-setting.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

I think as I recall they used a D20 DSLR or something like that on a long exposure-setting.

That's exactly how I did my short. I mounted it in my car and drove from daylight into the night with it on an aperture priority auto exposure. The results are like time lapse of a drive that morphs into complete abstraction as the exposures got longer and longer (up to a minute or so) and only smeary light sources were recorded. The beauty is that the frames, even on the lowest JPG setting, had to be downrezzed to get 1080P.

Edited by Chris Keth, 20 September 2007 - 05:28 PM.

CineTape

Abel Cine

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Technodolly