#1 Bo Price

Bo Price
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:55 PM

I'm shooting a short in a couple of weeks on the A-Minima, and I'm using the Canon 8/64 zoom. I also want to get one wide prime, and I was going to get the Zeiss 9.5mm. But I heard there might be some distortion around the edges. Is that true?

I want something very wide since I'm doing it all handheld, but I don't want any sort of fisheye look. I have a regular 16mm Scoopic, and 12.5mm doesn't seem wide enough on that, but maybe in Super-16 there is a slight difference?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Bo

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

I'm shooting a short in a couple of weeks on the A-Minima, and I'm using the Canon 8/64 zoom. I also want to get one wide prime, and I was going to get the Zeiss 9.5mm. But I heard there might be some distortion around the edges. Is that true?

I want something very wide since I'm doing it all handheld, but I don't want any sort of fisheye look. I have a regular 16mm Scoopic, and 12.5mm doesn't seem wide enough on that, but maybe in Super-16 there is a slight difference?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Bo

I have a 9.5 for my LTR and I also have a 5.7 kinoptik the 9.5 is not distorted like the 5.7. I have heard that some Mk1's vignette at the corners of the super16 frame I think that this is more of slight falloff than a hard edge. I have not had problems with mine in this regards. However if you have a 8-64 why do you need the 9.5? unless it's for speed? (t1.3) if you are renting get a Mk2 and there will be no problem, also Zeiss made a set of wide angle adapters for these lenses (I think 2 parts) which at their widest gets you to around 6mm.

-Rob-

#3 Bo Price

Bo Price
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

I have a 9.5 for my LTR and I also have a 5.7 kinoptik the 9.5 is not distorted like the 5.7. I have heard that some Mk1's vignette at the corners of the super16 frame I think that this is more of slight falloff than a hard edge. I have not had problems with mine in this regards. However if you have a 8-64 why do you need the 9.5? unless it's for speed? (t1.3) if you are renting get a Mk2 and there will be no problem, also Zeiss made a set of wide angle adapters for these lenses (I think 2 parts) which at their widest gets you to around 6mm.

-Rob-

Thanks, Rob. I wanted one prime since we're doing a lot of "guerilla" shooting, and I wanted the camera to be as small and light as possible. And it's all handheld, so most of the film will be very wide, anyway. I'll go ahead with the 9.5, I think.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport