1 reply to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

Ok here's a real ad posted on Playback:

Want to become a Successful Independent Producer? Centennial College offers 8 wks training and 10 mths mentorship fully funded approx. $2,000 per month. If you are currently on Employment Insurance Benefits (or in the past 3 yrs) you are eligible. info session Sept. 28th. contact karen@wordshopproductions.com or 416-289-5000 x8632.

So let me get this straight.......tax payers are going to fund unemployment insurance recipients so that they can become independent producers? My spleen is going to rupture I'm laughing so hard :D :D :D :D

I mean really, this is an incredibly stupid idea even by Canadian standards, what kind of idiot would come up with a scheme like this?

I had to pay a fortune to attend a university film program in the USA, and had a $22,000.00 student loan to pay off. Now some folks are going to get a free ride into the business using my tax dollars? Gee that's fair.

Not too mention the ridiculous assumption that any 8 week course will turn some one into a "Successful Independent Producer". I mean how many USC grads are "flipping burgers"?

The people running this program obviously know nothing about the film industry. One good thing is that the people they are recruiting have experience with collecting unemployment insurance, some thing they'll be doing a lot of once they finish this course.

R,

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

The people running this program obviously know nothing about the film industry.

I suspect the people running it know plenty about the film industry. They know, after all, that they can teach a fair minimum of business stuff and idiots will come because they want to work in movies and have no clue of the real odds of wealth. It would be the people getting sucked into it that would be clueless.

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

CineTape