#1 Jeremy Rumas

Jeremy Rumas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Other
  • USA

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:56 AM

I need to be getting another spot meter, as my last one unfortunately fell to the bottom of the ocean while I was out on a trip shooting. I was using a Spiratone II Digital spotmeter. It was very basic, and worked well. But to get the reading, I had to first look through the meter, then take my eye away, and look at the dial on the side. Then turn the dial and line up the correct numbers, and there, I've got my f-stop. The time it takes to turn the meter to its side, and move the dial, are time lost shooting, and possibly important moments missed.

I sometimes use my Canon SLR with a 50mm lens as my light meter. And with this, I can get the correct f-stop just by looking through the lens. This method is quicker in that regard, but a lot heavier and clumsier to work with when I am at the same time juggling my Bolex. Also, walking around with two cameras strapped over my shoulders screams "Hey! Look at me!!! I'm trying to make a film!!!" twice as loud. Also makes it look like I am taking people's photo twice. Kinda funny almost in that regard.

So if anyone has any advice on a good meter for solo on the run shooting, lightweight and small, with instant feedback in regard to what f-stop to use such as in my SLR metering approach, I'd appreciate some recommendations. I really like the physical simplicity of something like that digital Spiratone II I mentioned...but I want the process to be even simpler if possible.

thanks,

Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Rumas, 22 September 2007 - 12:58 AM.

#2 Jeremy Rumas

Jeremy Rumas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Other
  • USA

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:47 PM

anyone have any suggestions?

#3 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

I need to be getting another spot meter, as my last one unfortunately fell to the bottom of the ocean while I was out on a trip shooting.

thanks,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy.

Are you looking for *specifically* a spot meter ? Because, as far as I know, nobody sells a stand alone spot meter anymore. Sekonic has their combination meters which have both ambient and spot built in. Perhaps you can pick up a second hand spot meter ?

I have a sekonic dual spot 778 and couldn't BEAR to part with it. I just spent a ridiculous amount of money getting it fixed, because I hate the newer combination sekonic meters.

If you were prepared to look at ambient meters, then there are many more options available to you...which do you want ?

jb

#4 Jeremy Rumas

Jeremy Rumas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Other
  • USA

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

Hi Jeremy.

Are you looking for *specifically* a spot meter ? Because, as far as I know, nobody sells a stand alone spot meter anymore. Sekonic has their combination meters which have both ambient and spot built in. Perhaps you can pick up a second hand spot meter ?

I have a sekonic dual spot 778 and couldn't BEAR to part with it. I just spent a ridiculous amount of money getting it fixed, because I hate the newer combination sekonic meters.

If you were prepared to look at ambient meters, then there are many more options available to you...which do you want ?

jb

I am interested in a simple, stand alone spot meter. Not a combo. But I want something that will allow me to meter just as I described as how I meter with my SLR still camera for shooting with my Bolex. I just want to have something smaller(as small as possible really) and lighter than using my SLR as my light meter. I want a meter where I can dial in, or program in my shutter speed and film speed and leave that set, and then get an instant readout of what f-stop to use when looking through the spot meter with the trigger engaged. This is how I meter with my SLR, and its fast and simple...there is a needle in the viewfinder that points to the corresponding f-stop. I am wondering if there are any stand alone spot meters that work the same way.

The Spiratone spot meter I had before had a digital display inside the viewfinder that gave a numerical reading of the light(and it wasn't in f-stops)4. I then had to take my eye away, look at the side of the spot meter and use the manual dials, dial in the number that was in the display, and then it would give me the proper f-stop to use. I am wanting a light meter that eliminates the need for that step. It would really help for on the run shooting.

thanks,

Jeremy

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera