#1 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

I was thinking that it might be useful for people starting out, such as myself, if we could post examples of shots/looks/styles in films and discuss how they had been achieved. I am curious to see examples of different looks so I can put a name to it so to speak, such as when people talk about "milky blacks," for example. Maybe we can discuss a whole range of images that show different things like high/low contrast, skip-bleach Processing, pushing stops and pulling et cetera and post pictures to illustrate it. I know that it would help me no end....to kick off with, the following link is for a uk advert currently doing the rounds;

http://www.mcsaatchi....php?workid=332

Now, I actually really dont like the content of the ad, but I have seen a few adverts/short films that has this look of really orange skin tones that I like, and in this case, vibrant greens and deep browns. It seems to be popular this look as i have seen it various times. Is it mainly achieved in post? Or is it a particular stock, or a combination - ?

Edited by Ralph Tabith, 22 September 2007 - 09:04 AM.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

I was thinking that it might be useful for people starting out, such as myself, if we could post examples of shots/looks/styles in films and discuss how they had been achieved. I am curious to see examples of different looks so I can put a name to it so to speak, such as when people talk about "milky blacks," for example. Maybe we can discuss a whole range of images that show different things like high/low contrast, skip-bleach Processing, pushing stops and pulling et cetera and post pictures to illustrate it.

I think we already do that -- it's called "Cinematography.com" ;)

Seriously, there are so many different types of shots and so many different techniques that it becomes necessary to break them down into the elements that go into them -- lighting, film stocks and processing, color correction, and so on -- which is exactly the categories we have here. If you have a specific question, look in the appropriate category.

As far as labeling "looks," I think you'll find that it's a bit like fashion -- there may be recognizable trends with specific techniques used, but rarely do things get a real "name." Sometimes a look or trend becomes well-known enough to adopt a nickname, based on the technique used or the film that made it famous. But usually it's better to describe a look by both reference example and the overall qualities it has (contrast, color, image structure, etc.).

It looks like the commercial you referenced just saturated the color in post. Since it was shot under flat overcast light and had broad shapes of a single color (grass, water, sky), it probably needed a little color saturation just to make it a little more vibrant on screen.

#3 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:56 AM

I think we already do that -- it's called "Cinematography.com" ;)

True! :) but sometimes I find it easier looking at visuals than someone describing those visuals (style/look/technique) in words..thanks for the input

Edited by Ralph Tabith, 24 September 2007 - 03:57 AM.

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:36 PM

There are heaps of threads with links to videos for discussion, hard to search for directly but try out the lighting forums - pretty sure there are a few in there - you can also simply post a still using the 'Insert Image' function in the forum interface:
Posted Image
It has to be hosted elsewhere though...

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

Users can attach their own images as well.

screenshot.jpeg

#6 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:40 AM

Users can attach their own images as well.

screenshot.jpeg

That looks like an awesome location there..

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

The Slider