19 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Brandhorst

Jack Brandhorst
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

What's the difference between F stops & T stops?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

Search the archive. We've gone into it a million times before. ;)

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

Search the archive. We've gone into it a million times before. ;)

Aug.20 was the most recent time it was asked:
http://www.cinematog...n...1&hl=T-stop

Here's another:
http://www.cinematog...n...&hl=T-stops

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

You know, I've seen this question a lot as well as some others that have been asked again and again, This should REALLY probably be addressed in the FAQs section just for the sake of everyone's sanity along with some others that are asked over and over again. Just a thought. Does anyone remember off the top of their heads any other questions that are asked many times that should be listed in FAQ as well? :unsure:

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:17 PM

You know, I've seen this question a lot as well as some others that have been asked again and again, This should REALLY probably be addressed in the FAQs section just for the sake of everyone's sanity along with some others that are asked over and over again. Just a thought. Does anyone remember off the top of their heads any other questions that are asked many times that should be listed in FAQ as well? :unsure:

It could be added to the FAQ-in-progress, though I haven't tackled it in a year or so.

You could go to it and see my list of questions and add some more.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:40 AM

I'm zoning out right now, but I know there are like 5 or 6 questions that come up in various forms every month or 2 that get answered again and again. Every time you answer a question, the reply is very informative, easy to understand and concise which is why I tend to specifically ask you questions when I don't understand something about the film making process. I just wish I could think of some of those over asked questions right now. (I've had about 14 hours sleep this week total so I'm a little spacey right now) I know you have a lot of really great Info on FAQ but there maybe some somewhat very basic questions, like the t-stop one that maybe should possibly be addressed, like maybe what ASA means, maybe a concise explanation of the push/pull process, The one that's listed there is a little convoluted and spread out, maybe just taking what everyone said and condensing it into one of your well formed explanations, maybe a short basic tools listing along with an summery of their most common uses ie-basic filters basic gels most common lamps, how to use and control sunlight, practicals, china lanterns and haligon worklghts for a no-budget shoot and how someone like YOU would do that with NO money if you were ever in that situation, Maybe how to start using film after shooting on video for a while or what it takes to shoot film and how to get started, I see that one a lot. I don't know, things like that, just some ideas I thought might be helpful to teens and less experienced people who want to get into film making and could use the advice of someone with your experience and ability to communicate the information.

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 23 September 2007 - 12:42 AM.

#7 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

Does anyone remember off the top of their heads any other questions that are asked many times that should be listed in FAQ as well?

"Which is the best camera for me?" :P

But seriously, maybe the discussion on DoF should be added to the FAQ.

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:08 PM

But seriously, maybe the discussion on DoF should be added to the FAQ.

Hi,

Or banned from discussion LOL.

Stephen

#9 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

maybe its on my radar a bit more than others but the whole Bolex RX/prism thing needs a FAQ - along with shutter angles and the ol' equivalent focal length/angle of view confusion

Edited by Nick Mulder, 23 September 2007 - 04:52 PM.

#10 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

maybe its on my radar a bit more than others but the whole Bolex RX/prism thing needs a FAQ - along with shutter angles and the ol' equivalent focal length/angle of view confusion

Someone who knows a lot about Bolexes would have to write the FAQ entry then.

#11 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hi Jack,

Apparantly T stops cost more. <_<

Stephen

#12 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:45 PM

Someone who knows a lot about Bolexes would have to write the FAQ entry then.

I dont deny that I could write it - I already have, many times ...

I wouldn't mind putting together a few bits'n'bobs re. the Bolex camera, maybe Olex or someone would be keen to do something similar for the K3 et al ?

I remember seeing a draft FAQ somewhere sometime I think you had written. I'm interested to know where is this going to be posted though. It really needs some large screen real-estate to be useful...

#13 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

I remember seeing a draft FAQ somewhere sometime I think you had written. I'm interested to know where is this going to be posted though. It really needs some large screen real-estate to be useful...

It would be posted in the FAQ section. Just go to the main page of this site to see the current FAQ-in-Progress.

I don't think an FAQ answer should be volumes of info though, that belongs more in a user's manual section, or some sort of tables & diagrams section. An FAQ is for Frequently Asked Questions, and generally that doesn't mean "please write me a user's manual for this camera." "What is a T-Stop?" is a frequently asked question that can be answered in a paragraph or two. "What is the exposure compensation for a Bolex's shutter?" might be another.

#14 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

ah... ok - well, thing is most people looking for info come straight to the forums - my bookmark does that too, bypassing the FAQ in the process - yeh sure, I should really look for it - but the reality is people dont...

Maybe they could be sticky threads in the appropriate forums ?

Okidoki! well, anyway when I have some energy I'll look up by responses to the common Bolex queries and make a nice compact/concise 'answer' for each and then post it for editorial perusal to remove my mixed-metaphors/overuse of slashes/'quotations' etc...

#15 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

I'm sure I can get Tim to move the FAQ over to the forums page once it's revised again.

#16 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:50 AM

I know that some forums have a standard policy that redundant threads are nipped in the bud by almost immediately replying with links to the appropriate past threads. This also is beneficial to the forum, since it allows any given topic to have a centralized thread for discussion, which can always been revived at any given point.

Maybe we should look into instituting this practice?

#17 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:10 AM

I know that some forums have a standard policy that redundant threads are nipped in the bud by almost immediately replying with links to the appropriate past threads. This also is beneficial to the forum, since it allows any given topic to have a centralized thread for discussion, which can always been revived at any given point.

Maybe we should look into instituting this practice?

A good idea and also by referring people to good books like David's "Cinematography".

http://www.amazon.co...i...43J2AYWVWD

I get a little annoyed by Forum questions that are the sort of ones that are easily answered by a person spending ten minutes with a good book, Google search, or looking in Wikipedia.

#18 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:06 AM

F-stops are taken when an actor accidentally swears in the middle of a line. T-stops are taken on British film sets in the middle of the afternoon.

#19 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

T-stops are taken on British film sets in the middle of the afternoon.

A tradition that is still vigorously preserved in many former British Colonies... regardless of whether or not a film set is in evidence. :P

#20 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:09 PM

A tradition that is still vigorously preserved in many former British Colonies... regardless of whether or not a film set is in evidence. :P

Hi Daniel,

Which leads to "P" stops.

Stephen

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Glidecam

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery