6 replies to this topic

#1 charles g clark

charles g clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Just got home from seeing Superbad- yes it really is as funny as I had heard (very immature humour but hilarious)

Anyhow, just looked on IMDB, awaiting confirmation that it was super 16 as I had thought (i'm usually on the nail with spotting this on the big screen) and its listed as a Genesis film!!

I know the IMDB can be wrong from time to time on tech specs but is this correct?

Not one to criticise a feature when i've only shot things of five mins or less but it just looked a bit like badly lit & shot super 16 (almost run & gun like Chasing Amy)

Regardless, very funny & entertaining throughout even for those not quite in their teens!

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

Yes, it was shot on the Genesis. I didn't think it looked as grainy as a Super-16 movie, but it was on the soft side, which for a comedy with a funky 1970's vibe running through it, wasn't unmotivated. The look suited the movie I thought.

All in all, I still think the best-looking Genesis movie has been "Flyboys", followed by "Apocalypto", "The Lookout", and "Superman Returns" (only "The Lookout" was a lower-budget indie movie). Haven't seen "Balls of Fury" other than a few minutes of it when I sneaked into a theater; the technical quality was OK.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:11 AM

Haven't seen "Balls of Fury" other than a few minutes of it when I sneaked into a theater; the technical quality was OK.

I'm sorry, I just think it's funny that David Mullen ASC is sneaking in to see "Balls of Fury"

;)

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

I'm sorry, I just think it's funny that David Mullen ASC is sneaking in to see "Balls of Fury"

;)

I also snuck in to see a few minutes of "Dragon Wars" at the same mall theater. I like to sample everything playing in movie theaters when I have the time, just to see how things are looking on the big screen.

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

Not one to criticise a feature when i've only shot things of five mins or less but it just looked a bit like badly lit & shot super 16 (almost run & gun like Chasing Amy)

Judd Apatow movies might be well written and well acted, but he dosen't seem to be interested in stunning cinematography.

The use of multiple static cameras in 'The Forty Year Old Virgin' was visually dull.

#6 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

Yes, it was shot on the Genesis. I didn't think it looked as grainy as a Super-16 movie, but it was on the soft side, which for a comedy with a funky 1970's vibe running through it, wasn't unmotivated. The look suited the movie I thought.

All in all, I still think the best-looking Genesis movie has been "Flyboys", followed by "Apocalypto", "The Lookout", and "Superman Returns" (only "The Lookout" was a lower-budget indie movie). Haven't seen "Balls of Fury" other than a few minutes of it when I sneaked into a theater; the technical quality was OK.

I snuck into 'Superbad' once the film I was watching was finished and caught the last half hour or so. I didn't think it looked like Super16 either, didn't notice any grain.

I had the same impression of the Genesis as I had previously: for most part it looks alright. Nothing amazing, but alright. The colors are a bit dull and faces look overly smooth and every now and then a shot comes up that really looks like video.

#7 charles g clark

charles g clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the responses, agree it has a kitch look to it that suited the movie, judging by the rest of the audience its a great example that film or video, formats inconsequential if you can entertain people!

At first was stunned that the money would be spent on a genesis package with no allusions to stunning/ cutting edge cinematography on a non fx movie, but i guess in a business sense the cost would have more than been re claimed by saving stock & lab cost with the comedy aspect.

And the intro was a rip off of the UK sitcom Bottom IMHO

Best wishes to all

Charles

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera