9 replies to this topic

#1 Saul Pincus

Saul Pincus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

I saw THE BRAVE ONE tonight, and was struck by Phillipe Rousselot's fine 'scope lensing and lighting. Though Rousselot seemed to be typically working with what appear to be deep stops where possible, there were plenty of night situations via steadicam that featured nothing less than herculean, tack-sharp focus pulling (no mean feat in true 'scope).

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm casually slagging other people's work, but these days it's rare to see such craftsmanship on display at this level; i.e. few if any soft shots, fluid framing

My impression may have been helped by the fact that what I was watching appeared to be a showprint (left over from the Toronto Film Festival screenings, no doubt), complete with hand-scribed changeover cues. Or was I watching a print struck from a DI neg? It didn't feel like one, certainly not a 2K job ? it just felt too sharp.

#2 Saul Pincus

Saul Pincus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

Bump.

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

My impression may have been helped by the fact that what I was watching appeared to be a showprint (left over from the Toronto Film Festival screenings, no doubt), complete with hand-scribed changeover cues. Or was I watching a print struck from a DI neg? It didn't feel like one, certainly not a 2K job ? it just felt too sharp.

I'm sure what you saw was taken from the DI. Although the DI process doesn't appear to have too many fans on this forum, it is a fluid process that's constantly evolving, especially over the last couple of years. The Brave One is truly representative of the state-of-the-art in the DI process...clean and sharp, with minimal grain. It was filmed in anamorphic without 'special effects', so the producers could have certainly gone with an optical finish had they chosen to.

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:45 PM

Saw this yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got really caught up in it, which says a lot for a film in my book.

I really enjoyed the gradual steadicam dutch tilts that were employed at some key moments in the film. Excellent use of film language and composition to convey the unsteady feelings Foster's character was experiencing.

And of course, excellent work in Anamorphic. There seemed to be quite a lot of styles used in the film, some handheld, steadicam, a lot of dolly work. But the locked down shots with careful compositions within the scope frame really give testimony to Rousselat's and Jordan's careful storytelling skills.

#5 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

Or was I watching a print struck from a DI neg? It didn't feel like one, certainly not a 2K job ? it just felt too sharp.

Caught the last half hour of this. Looked like a DI to me, wasn't really as crispy crisp as anamorphic.

After having seen the trailer which told the whole story I had no problem getting into the film. I was really surprised to see Jodie Foster in such a primitive self-justice movie, always thought she was a bit more clever than that.

#6 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

...I was really surprised to see Jodie Foster in such a primitive self-justice movie, always thought she was a bit more clever than that.

You obviously haven't seen "Flightplan" or her completely unnecessary role in "The Inside Man", ha ha

#7 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

I was really surprised to see Jodie Foster in such a primitive self-justice movie, always thought she was a bit more clever than that.

Don't forget Taxi Driver. Now she's taken on the Travis Bickle role.

#8 Saul Pincus

Saul Pincus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

Caught the last half hour of this. Looked like a DI to me, wasn't really as crispy crisp as anamorphic.

Max, did your print have hand-scribed changeover cues?

#9 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:52 AM

You obviously haven't seen "Flightplan" or her completely unnecessary role in "The Inside Man", ha ha

Actually I have, but at least they were just dumb films whereas 'The Brave One' is a dumb film with a very dubious moral message behind it.

#10 Andy O'Neil

Andy O'Neil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Other
  • Asheville, NC (USA)

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:13 AM

Actually I have, but at least they were just dumb films whereas 'The Brave One' is a dumb film with a very dubious moral message behind it.

"The beautiful thing about humans is that we have the ability to access our emotions. The hard truth is that we cannot control them." -- a paraphrased quotation from an NPR interview with Foster.

Glidecam

The Slider

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Opal

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

CineTape