Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

hi

i just got back from post meeting and the editor recommend me to start working with this softwere

for CC referens for post

any one here use this program ?

after i finished the cc can this softwere export the parameters to after effect so he can give me the same look?

what softwere would you recommend?

#2 Francesco Bonomo

Francesco Bonomo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • currently in Rome, Italy

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

hi
i just got back from post meeting and the editor recommend me to start working with this softwere
for CC referens for post
any one here use this program?

I've used it when it was available for free as a Beta version, and I'm going to buy it soon.
It's a great tool for RAW files, though I've heard many good things about Apple Aperture as well.

after i finished the cc can this softwere export the parameters to after effect so he can give me the same look?

I'm pretty sure the image data from Lightroom won't work with After FX. I think the only thing you could do would be to have reference pictures taken with a digital camera on set and then process them in Lightroom or Aperture to get the right look for post, but then you would have to start all over again for grading.

Edited by Francesco Bonomo, 24 September 2007 - 09:42 AM.

#3 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

hi

for CC referens for post

any one here use this program ?

what softwere would you recommend?

Hi Ram...

I've been using Lightroom for about 6 months now. It's main advantage is that it processes lots of images in a very short amount of time. For example, I can set up a template that can be applied to a sequence of shots I may import from a scene's shooting. I can save a crop (say 2:35 or 1:78) and tungsten or daylight settings that I have tweaked to more closely match the stock.

In other words, it's a great start. It also has pretty good sorting processes so you can save folders and name them and create various collections. On the last 10 day shoot i did, i shot 3500 shots ! And I was able to generate stills each day and eve that I could easily post and upload to places like Flickr. I would suggest that for colour correction, it's probably not so great. t has all the basic tools, but it's not as precise as PS and you certainly don't have layers or masks.

You can also VERY easily export the images in various formats. As far as doing CC later, it's really only ever going to be a reference that someone else would be able to try to match to.

I reckon it's pretty good value for money. I tried Aperture before that, but I actually found it to be VERY slow, but otherwise similar.

BTW, I have seen some great films coming out of the Sam Spigel film school there...I think there's going to some great features coming soon.....

JB

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:33 PM

You could shoot a macbeth chart in each scene. After your color correction all a colorist would have to do to match your work would be to look at the RGB values for one of the patches and compare those to the proper value that macbeth provides.

Tai Audio

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products