#1 Dean Gray

Dean Gray

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hello all, pleasure to finally make my first post, this forum is an invaluable source of information to read every day.

I am writing in the hopes that you will be able to answer a couple of questions I have.

Firstly does anybody know of any places in the U.K that still do an Optical Blow up from a Super 16 negative to 35mm ?, I have been asking around a few places and a lot of places are trying to sell me that Optical Blow ups are a thing of the past and that nobody does them, favouring Digital Intermediates ( I can see the obvious advantages of D:I but budgetary constraints mean that is out of the question ).

Alternatively has anybody from the U.K ever done the incredibly daring thing of sending the original negative off to another country ( like say the U.S ) to have it blown up ? due to the exchange rate this is a consideration, but it fills me with fear and dread.

If anybody could answer my questions I would be really grateful, thanks in advance.

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

Have you tried all of the "usual suspects"? (Technicolor, Deluxe, Soho Images, Todd A.O., I-Lab, Bucks)

#3 Oron Cohen

Oron Cohen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel-Aviv/London

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

Hey,

I did 3 optical blow-ups (for 3 short films, 20min each) in the past and with great results in the Magyar lab in Hungary.
the price that they give are considerably low compare to a 2k DI and they are in Europe, so if you are really worry you can set up a date with them to come, take the long ride in train's or something, be there a few day's, make the blow-up and come back in a plain only with the print, they can save you the negative in there lab.
Hungary is a chip country so staying there a few days is not a problem, also the lab is very good lab with some great graders, many Israeli productions work with them, the most recent one is "Beaufort" that won the "silver Berlin bear" in the Berlin film festival.

#4 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

Two labs that do excellent blowup work:

Schwarzfilm Zurich

Andec Film berlin (english)

#5 Dean Gray

Dean Gray

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

Thank you all for your help, you have given me a lot of links to consider.

I will certainly be looking into the European locations, but obviously will try to do it at home, if only for the ludicrous reason of "buying British" or some such nonsense.

Cheers.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

> if only for the ludicrous reason of "buying British"

Why bother? They'll only screw you.

Phil

#7 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:10 AM

Have you tried all of the "usual suspects"? (Technicolor, Deluxe, Soho Images, Todd A.O., I-Lab, Bucks)

There is a lab, who's name escapes me which isn't part of the usual suspects and they sometimes do free blow-ups for shorts and features that they believe have potential.

I guess the best thing you can do is ask around as much as possible - be nice to people, give them the information they need and don't try and tell them how wonderful your film is - they really hate that!

Best of Luck,
Andy

#8 Dean Gray

Dean Gray

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:42 AM

There is a lab, who's name escapes me which isn't part of the usual suspects and they sometimes do free blow-ups for shorts and features that they believe have potential.

I guess the best thing you can do is ask around as much as possible - be nice to people, give them the information they need and don't try and tell them how wonderful your film is - they really hate that!

Best of Luck,
Andy

I am calling around labs as we speak ( or type ).

It is not really a monetary thing, I can afford the blow up, just about, in the productions budget, just an issue with a lot of places I tried ( not naming names of course ) moving to DIs.

I have to admit Europe is looking good though.

As an aside am I the only one who doesn't really like the look of footage that has been digitally messed about with ? For whatever reason it seems to lose something and look a bit artificial, film has a beauty to it raw in my opinion that too much tinkering takes away...but I have probably opened a whole other kettle of fish.

Thanks again for the help all, very much appreciated.

Glidecam

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine