Jay Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Student
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hey guys,

How many of you have ever used one of these Jackson Woodburn DMS-120S motors? Specifically, with a Fries Mitchell 35R? The beamsplitter version?

I've been talking with Ken Stone recently about getting a motor for a Fries 35R that I just purchased from him. I plan on doing mostly stop-motion animation, but also live action, high speed, etc. So the Jackson Woodburn looks great, but the problem is that Ken says it won't work.

I've been emailing the JW guys about the problem, and it's becoming more and more confusing! Here's the deal?

Ken says that these motors were designed more specifically for the S35 Mark II's, which is right! The gentlemen from JW says that they were originally designed for the Mark II, as well as the original R35 Mitchell (different from the Fries, obviously).

Ken says that in order to mount the motor correctly he has to remove the flywheel from the Mitchell (over my head!) JW claim that they did in fact have to remove the flywheel to make the motor work with the Fries (converted GC's), and use an adapter plate to adjust the positioning. Ken is using the adapter, btw.

JW goes on to say that they would then replace the flywheel with a toothed cog, and a belt connected that cog with the one on the adapter plate. I haven't specifically mentioned this to Ken yet.

Ken says the problem is that without the flywheel, you get flicker at anything above 60fps.

SO!

Anyone have experience with a Jackson Woodburn with a Fries 35R, or possibly some general knowledge of this stuff that could help explain why this isn't working? Perhaps someone knows a way to make it work?

If I can't get the JW I'll end up having to get two separate motors. Which is fine, but it ends up costing quite a bit more. I appreciate any help you guys can give me! This is obviously a BIG purchase decision!

Jay

P.S. If this isn't the right forum to be posting in, go ahead and move it wherever it's most appropriate!

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

CineTape