#1 Alan Lampert

Alan Lampert

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

I'm going to be shooting a short film on the Arri BL using 16mm film in about a week, and within the film will be a rear projection shot up on a white sheet. The projector presumably runs at 29.97 frames per second, so if I film this image with the camera running at 24 fps, they will be out of sync and cause a visual problem (you will see the image cycling).

One possible solution to this is setting the camera to shoot at 29.97 fps for the entire short, but will this cause the film to look odd? I've never shot on a film camera at this frame rate and thus do not know what the end product will look like.

Another solution would be to shoot the scene in which the rear projection occurs at 29.97 fps, and the other set up at 24 fps. If I did this, would there be a jarring difference in the two frame rates that would cause a problem when trying to seamlessly edit the film?

I would simply set the projector to project at 24 fps, but there is no such option the the projector. Are there any other solutions to this problem? Speed controllers, perhaps? Keep in mind that this is the Arri BL. Any possible solutions are welcome. Thanks.

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Opal