Which film to choose for documentary

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

Dear 16mm experts,
I am going to shoot a documentary in the albanian mountains in autumn on 16mm. What kind of film would you recommend? Most of the shots will be outside, not inside. Because I wanted the lowest grain possible I thought about using mostly 7201... What are your opinions? The weather will perhapes be cloudy... Better use 7205? What type of film do you recommend for intereors?
Thank you in advance,
Ole

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

During normal daylight conditions, even with overcast skies, you should be able to easily hit a workable stop with 50 ASA film. Take a lightmeter out during such weather if you're not convinced. However, if you plan on shooting a fair bit towards the duskier hours when the sun is low or in twilight, then 250D probably is the more flexible choice. If you can swing it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have both on hand. If you have the ability, you could do a comparison test.

As for indoors, what're your conditions? Daytime, nighttime? Are you going to have additional lights? How much light will be let in? Studio or location? Etc. With absolutely no knowledge of any of these, the generic answer is 500T, which will be fine, but may not be the *best* answer depending on your approach.

#3 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

During normal daylight conditions, even with overcast skies, you should be able to easily hit a workable stop with 50 ASA film. Take a lightmeter out during such weather if you're not convinced. However, if you plan on shooting a fair bit towards the duskier hours when the sun is low or in twilight, then 250D probably is the more flexible choice. If you can swing it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have both on hand. If you have the ability, you could do a comparison test.

As for indoors, what're your conditions? Daytime, nighttime? Are you going to have additional lights? How much light will be let in? Studio or location? Etc. With absolutely no knowledge of any of these, the generic answer is 500T, which will be fine, but may not be the *best* answer depending on your approach.

Thank you for the helpful advice.
The indoor conditions are a little complicated. No studio and no possibility to set too much artificial light. I want to film the living conditions in a village in the albanian mountains. The houses of the farmers there are rather small. Only small windows. But creating a sudio ambient with lots of light would destroy the special "mood". And in addition it happens, that the local current supply is not availible for hours or even days. Do you think 500D by Fuji is a good choice only using existing light? Or using some artficial light with Vision2 500T?
Thanks in advance,
Ole

#4 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:57 PM

If it were me I'd keep some 7218 or the new Eterna 500T on hand for the inside shots and not worry with the 85 filter. It would help a lot if you had wide angle primes inside too. A zoom may not open up enough if it gets dark in there. I'd consider a small battery powered light in case you have to use it inside too. I had to use a car "jump-starter" a couple of times. You can run low powered flourescent bulbs off of one that has an inverter built in. I used Reala 500D once and to me it seems a little overly grainy on 16mm.

Edited by Adam Thompson, 07 October 2007 - 04:00 PM.

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Technodolly

The Slider

Opal

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab