Photo

color temperature meter in a DIGITAL CAMERA?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:32 AM

Does anyone know if there is a 'point and shoot' low cost digi still cam that shows the color temperature in kelvins (besides just showing the standard 3200k/5600k?) Possibly even have the ability to jog/shuttle through degrees Kelvin?

I know a lot of video cameras are incorporating this into them which is becoming quite helpful when matching cameras together (ie XDcam).

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

I don't know of any, but I wouldn't really trust a low-cost camera to give me an accurate number anyway. And I never match cameras by the CT number it tells me -- I've seen cameras "disagree" on the same scene more than I've seen them agree. But maybe the XDCAMs (being newer) are more accurate, for all I know.

Most digital still cameras have presets for 3200, 4300 (plus a red boost), 5600, and 6500.

#3 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:10 PM

I don't know of any, but I wouldn't really trust a low-cost camera to give me an accurate number anyway. And I never match cameras by the CT number it tells me -- I've seen cameras "disagree" on the same scene more than I've seen them agree. But maybe the XDCAMs (being newer) are more accurate, for all I know.

Most digital still cameras have presets for 3200, 4300 (plus a red boost), 5600, and 6500.

I wouldn't totally trust the readout on the digi. cam, but if you are referencing everything off that camera, then your reference point is not changing so you can work with that accurately.

Agreed, most video cameras won't match up perfectly... however having the color temp readout gets you much closer, which puts a smile on your colorist.

Think I'm going to get the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX2. Seems to be pretty good for its money. Leica ripped it off... or should I say rebranded it, with their logo instead of panasonic and it sells for a pretty penny more...

Edited by Justin Lovell, 01 October 2007 - 02:13 PM.

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport