Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi.

Does anyone have any information on what the mystery Super 8 camera(s) currently being manufactured in North Korea are like? Any photos or technical data?

If they actually have a decent model available this could be the new Super 8 camera I and many others of desparate for. :)

;)

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

I would not count on that. That this obscure camera is a device superior or on a par with anything Beaulieu, Leitz, Bauer, Nizo or Canon build in the mid-to-late 1970s (the best camera vintages as far as our big camera test showed) is highly unlikely. It is more probable that Aaton will launch its much anticipated Aaton Superette Elongate camera, as named so by Alessandro Machi ;) .

I don't know any detail of a North Korean-built camera, however, there is a discontinued Chinese Super 8 camera design which might still be in production in North Korea under some long-forgotten licensing scheme that might have been already dubious when it was first drafted (similar deals existed for Chinese 35mm cameras, which bear close resemblance to WWII Arriflex 35-models).

That Super 8 camera, the Nanjing China S-8 was briefly built in the PRoC but as the Chinese industry later moved away from 8mm cartridge-based systems to its own 8.75mm system (...don't ask...), it vanished.
There are a few photographs around, mostly bad scans or photocopies from Chinese industry newspapers and local & international trade fair show programmes. It has 18 and 24 fps for sure, one higher unreadable filming speed, and one lower gear (possibly 9 or single frame).

Attached Images

• Nanjing_China_S_8.jpg

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:30 PM

I never for one second thought the mstery camera was surpass all those classics. I just meant it would inject a bit of freshness into the Super 8 community.

#4 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

No worries, I never assumed you would think something like that ;) :)

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Don't worry. I know you've probably had this experience befor, but I think it would be so wonderful to open a fresh Super 8 camera and know I'm the first to run it.

By hook or by crook there WILL be a new Super 8 camera. Even if I have to design and construct it myself.

#6 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

I can see your point B) !

And actually (what I am going to type now has to stay between us as it will sound utterly ridiculous to 99.9% of all humanity) if the current trend continues, there might well the possibility of an all-new Super 8 camera design being launched in a decade or so plus.
Like 2020 or so :huh: ... but then again, probably not :D .

For the time being, plenty of astonishingly mint cams around, good spares situations, plus the endless stream of Beaulieu refurb's from those Beaulieu distributors in US and DE.

There were one or two mint-in-box never-used Nizo 4080 on sale on eBay.de a couple of years ago... maybe a reoccurence of this most unlike of unlike events could be a fix for your itch ;) ?

(Hmm, the Buick Superette Elongate?)

Edited by Michael Lehnert, 03 October 2007 - 03:13 PM.

#7 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

I think there will be a new Super 8 by nessecity. I think 1983 was the cut off year for the manufacture of decent Super 8 cameras, meanng that all of the popular high end Super 8 cameras are at least 24 years old. If the Super 8 trend keeps up for another five years I think we wil see a new camera. Another ten and there will have to be one.

CineLab

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS