#1 Benjamin Smith

Benjamin Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Director
  • Austin, TX

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

Alright guys/ gals been looking at the P+S Mini35 adapter for the HVX. My question is those of you who have used this what lenses do you recomend to go along with it to get the best look. Any Ideas? Thanks

#2 Adamo P Cultraro

Adamo P Cultraro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:39 AM

Personally I would take a hard look at the Letus Extreme adapter. not sure if you are renting or buying, but the Extreme only loses 1/2 stop, flips the image for you, and delivers razor sharp images with nice bokeh. Plus it costs $1500.

As far as lenses go, I prefer Nikons. I have a set of 6 primes and am happy with them. I've heard that Zeiss lenses are pretty nice, but the cost to performance ratio is just not there for me. I'd stay away from some of the no name lenses like Kogaku and a few others.

Remember to get the fastest lenses you can as these adapters tend to lose a lot of light.

#3 Benjamin Smith

Benjamin Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Director
  • Austin, TX

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

Personally I would take a hard look at the Letus Extreme adapter. not sure if you are renting or buying, but the Extreme only loses 1/2 stop, flips the image for you, and delivers razor sharp images with nice bokeh. Plus it costs $1500.

As far as lenses go, I prefer Nikons. I have a set of 6 primes and am happy with them. I've heard that Zeiss lenses are pretty nice, but the cost to performance ratio is just not there for me. I'd stay away from some of the no name lenses like Kogaku and a few others.

Remember to get the fastest lenses you can as these adapters tend to lose a lot of light.

Thanks a lot I will look into the letus it is cheaper and that is always a plus on my list. I haven't used Nikons before but hear they are realy great. Thanks for the advice. It is what i was looking for.

#4 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

I agree with Adamo, I bought the very first letus prototype, and it is pretty cool! I use a Nikon E-series 50mm lens. You can get them on ebay for like $10 - $20ish. They look killer!

- Greg

#5 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

I agree with Adamo, I bought the very first letus prototype, and it is pretty cool! I use a Nikon E-series 50mm lens. You can get them on ebay for like $10 - $20ish. They look killer!

- Greg

$10-$20? Wow. How about other lenses though? What eles do you have/use and how much for them?

#6 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:59 AM

i use canon FD with my letus35fe (24/f2 50/f1.4 85/f2 135/f2)

they cost between 50-200$ on eBay

look great

you can see it on myspace.com/ramdp

all the music video shoot with it

i am very very happy

i also read article at dvxuser.com compere the letus35fe with the p+s mini 35

results are amazing

looking forward to buy the extreme even better tool

#7 dullataj

dullataj
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:06 AM

For my personal.....It can work well with 35 format lenses such as Zeiss MKI, II, UP / Cooke S4 / Angenieux HR 25-250 / 24-290mm also with Century Canon S2000......but please you do not bring the 16mm format to work with becasue the back element of lenses will hit with Spinning Mirror Guuard...
dullataj@hotmail.com
Yoi Camera Corner Thailand

#8 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles and Las Vegas

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

I've only used the mini35 with Ziess and Cooke lenses and the results have been very impressive. The higher end lens packages will make a difference...if you can rent them conveniently in your area; after all, isn't that why you're putting a mini35 on there in the first place for the quality of prime lenses? Maybe you can just get few inexpensive lenses to have around in your kit for day to day and then rent the higher-end lenses as needed?

Robert Starling, SOC
Steadicam Owner Operator
Las Vegas, NV

#9 Benjamin Smith

Benjamin Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Director
  • Austin, TX

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:42 AM

Maybe you can just get few inexpensive lenses to have around in your kit for day to day and then rent the higher-end lenses as needed?

Yeah thats what I plan on doing. I had a chat with greg johnson (thanks again) I plan on buying a set of nikon primes and keeping them for the day to day. Up in austin (about 20 min north of me) I can rent a set of zeiss primes for not to much I want to try them out. The bad thing is I am doing my first semi-decent budget doco which calls for purchasing lenses due to location and sadly purchasing nice zeiss' is over budget plus they are hell to find for purchase. So it looks like the doc will be done on the nikons. Not so bad.

Does anyone know if I can buy some cooke lenses if so how much? Also what is the comparison of cooke vs. zeiss?

Cheers

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly