#1 Tom Banks

Tom Banks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

I'm wondering if anyone uses any software during the pre phase for mapping out overheads, placing characters and camera angles? It is something I could do on photoshop, but there's got to be a simple program where you can add in furniture, mock people, cars, etc... to use as references when doing overheads.

Anyone?

#2 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:27 AM

I'm wondering if anyone uses any software during the pre phase for mapping out overheads, placing characters and camera angles? It is something I could do on photoshop, but there's got to be a simple program where you can add in furniture, mock people, cars, etc... to use as references when doing overheads.

Anyone?

Hey Tom

I don't know how many others use it, but I like using Vectorworks whenever possible. It is great too when the sets were designed in the software because you can take thier work and input all your lighitng instruments over the top of it. It isn't exactly industry practice, but its worked out pretty well for me for the most part.

Let me know if you hear of any other solutions - im curious to see what everyone else does.

#3 Tom Banks

Tom Banks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

So I ended up using Google SketchUp. I read about the guys from "300" using it to previs some of their sets.

I made this from memory and a few stills in about two hours. Its for an 8 min. steadicam shot that travels from outside, to inside and around the house. Its great to place figures, do 3d views, as well as some nice looking overhead diagrams to mark on.

Posted Image

#4 Xavier Plaza

Xavier Plaza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Guayaquil - Ecuador

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:54 PM

It seems you find the right tool (easy and quick), i guess 3D programs are out of your range. I use cinema 4D

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Opal

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery