#1 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hey all, I am down to pretty much two choices. Well three really I guess. I am now trying to decide between getting a XL1s (maybe from amazon, maybe from ebay), DVX100 (ebay) or possibly a DVX100a. Idealy I'd be able to get a DVX100 from BH. Hell, idealy I'd be able to get a HPX500 from BH but no such (financial) luck. Being a unemployed homeschooled highschool student with a budget of about $1550, I am reduced to using older technology untill I can afford a better camera :angry: .

What I want to know is, if the DVX100a falls through (the bid goes higer then I can afford), which between the XL1s or the DVX100 would be a better choice. Like everyone, I want to get an almost film look. Not a movie look, a film look. I dont think I ever shoot stuff that would be artificialy lit, I cant really haul a light kid around in the back country whilst skiing or down a freeride mountain bike run. just doesnt work like that. I have heard that the DVX100 has an audio problem at 24p (and 30p???), but since I hardly ever record dialog, i dont think that will be too much of a problem. The other thing, what image controlls does it have? I cant seem to find any info on the panasonic website. Now, on the other hand, I know and trust Canon, know people who swear by the XL1s (and some color correction), like the idea that it can be rested on ones shoulder, like the fact that it has interchangeble lenses (and a longer stock lens), even though I may have a HD camera before I'd change the lens.

I guess my real question is:

Do I take a chance with the DVX100 or do I go with the XL1s which I have actually had a little experance (like 30 minutes at the local ROP lab with a friend) and know the brand name and such.

Anyway, thats it. I know its not the ideal situation but thats how it is for me. I'd wait longer and aqquire more money but I need the camera before ski seasno starts and want some time to get aqquanted with said camera.

Thanks,
Dory

#2 Lars Zemskih

Lars Zemskih
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

I would say DVX is a better choice here, XL1 is an older camera, one that is off the market, where as DVX is still selling. XL1 lenses are good, but with every step you'll loose features like image stabilization. DVX doesn't have any audio recording problems as far as I know (been using it for over 2 years) in any frame rate.

Good article can be found here:

http://dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

It compares Sony fx1 vs. XL2 vs. HVX. It might be a little biased since it is dvxuser.com, but still pretty true I think.

But my opinion XL1 is too old of a minidv camera imho.

#3 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

I would say DVX is a better choice here, XL1 is an older camera, one that is off the market, where as DVX is still selling. XL1 lenses are good, but with every step you'll loose features like image stabilization. DVX doesn't have any audio recording problems as far as I know (been using it for over 2 years) in any frame rate.

Good article can be found here:

http://dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

It compares Sony fx1 vs. XL2 vs. HVX. It might be a little biased since it is dvxuser.com, but still pretty true I think.

But my opinion XL1 is too old of a minidv camera imho.

I prefer thr DVX also, If you want to see how it looks there a short called "broken" that was shot with the DVX, you can see the trailer at http://www.whatisbroken.com

Edited by William A Chapman Jr, 04 October 2007 - 05:38 PM.

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Thew XL1s doesn't do 24P, does it? I thought it only had the older "movie" mode...

The first generation DVX100's (before the "A" model) clipped badly in the highlights when using the cinegamma, with no knee function at all (other gamma presets did allow knee). I think the sound issue you're referring to is the "echo" when monitoring audio in 24P mode. The camera has to buffer the signal to apply the pulldown, which caused a delay in the headphone signal. I don't know of any actual sound recording problems with it though.

You can download the manual for DVX100B here. The image controls in the 100 and 100A models are pretty much the same; a few preset gammas, preset color matrices, phase, saturation, color temp, black level, knee and so on.

#5 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:48 PM

Michale,

Yeah, the XL1s has that cheezey movie mode.

Thanks all for your input! Unfortunetly the DVX100 (not a or B) is really my only option other then the XL1s, and it sounds like thats the way I'm going to go.

Oh and Michale, do you have a relitive named Nate who works for NWD films?

#6 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:17 AM

No, no relation.

#7 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Well I did it. I bought myself a DVX100. Thanks for your help kids :lol: !

#8 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:24 AM

Nice choice!! congrats

#9 Lars Zemskih

Lars Zemskih
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:39 AM

Cool! Good luck with it! It is still a great camera that you can do lot of things with.

#10 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

yeah man I cant wait to start playing around with it.

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Visual Products