#1 Alexander Disenhof

Alexander Disenhof
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

I would like to get at least a 500W (if not more powerful) tungsten balanced globe for a chinese lantern - should I use a photoflood or is there something else I should use?

#2 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

hi

i use photo-flood 500w on my home made Lateran but you need ceramic household or else it will melt

#3 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

I would like to get at least a 500W (if not more powerful) tungsten balanced globe for a chinese lantern - should I use a photoflood or is there something else I should use?

Hi Alexander,

Aside from the danger of melting your base, an even greater danger is setting fire to a PAPER lantern. You really shouldn't be using anything brighter than 500w in a paper lantern and making sure that it is secure in such a way that the globe can't flop about inside. (and touch the paper)

If you like the look of a paper lantern but want more bullets, there are several chimera style fabric versions that you should be looking into.

JB

#4 Mark Stuen

Mark Stuen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:23 PM

Has anyone tried using these instead of Photofloods?

http://www.filmtools...hoba2532qu.html

#5 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

If using store-bought paper lanterns, I would always spray down the paper with a fire retardant material well ahead of time - it's common sense and no hire house would supply ones that hadn't been given such a treatment. That being said, it's not a safety blanket - you still need to keep an eye on them.

(Also give your photofloods LOTS of time to cool. I was taking out a bayonet mount one that I thought was cooled - but since my pain receptors decided to wait two seconds before screaming otherwise, I had to hold onto it until I finished climbing down the ladder - it was one of our last surviving bulbs... It's no fun having cooked flesh. :( )

Edited by Jon Kukla, 08 October 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#6 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:45 PM

...I would always spray down the paper with a fire retardant material well ahead of time

I was wondering what material you use. I tried to find some at a local hardware store, and they didn't carry it in spray form for its toxicity.

#7 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

http://www.filmtools...hoba2532qu.html

What an odd looking light. It looks like a unit that takes three "aquarium" style bulbs right next to each other. Regualr bulbs would be too wide to fit.

#8 Mark Stuen

Mark Stuen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

They say it has a 100 hour life and it's dimensions are much smaller for $12. Has anyone used them? Are they as good as they sound or are there other issues?

#9 Chris Walters

Chris Walters
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:05 AM

You really can use any kind of globe that you would put in a household lamp in the china balls or lanterns. There are practicle globes called 211 212 and 213 that I use a lot because they last longer than photofloods and depending on the number it alters the wattage and color temp. 211- 75 watt 2900 K 212 150 watt 3200 K and 213 300 watt 3400 K. They are 5 bucks each at filmtools in burbank.

#10 Chris Walters

Chris Walters
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:05 AM

You really can use any kind of globe that you would put in a household lamp in the china balls or lanterns. There are practicle globes called 211 212 and 213 that I use a lot because they last longer than photofloods and depending on the number it alters the wattage and color temp. 211- 75 watt 2900 K 212 150 watt 3200 K and 213 300 watt 3400 K. They are 5 bucks each at filmtools in burbank.

#11 Chris Walters

Chris Walters
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:09 AM

Sorry about the double posting and maybe I should read more clearly what you asked... 500 watts! Sorry about that! Thats getting closed to having to use an actual quartz lamp and you're better off using a 650 watt light with a chimera ball instead of a paper lantern cause it will burn up after extended use. Let me know if you find anything practicle of that size.

Chris Walters

#12 Alexander Disenhof

Alexander Disenhof
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

thanks everyone for their imput! I will look into all your suggestions, and let you know what I find!

#13 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

http://www.filmtools.com/nehoba2532qu.html

These will burn paper lanterns as well, beware.

#14 T. Arthur DeSmidt

T. Arthur DeSmidt
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

I use 24 inch Lantern Locks with 1k mogul bulbs and have never had a problem.

#15 Alexander Disenhof

Alexander Disenhof
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

Is this globe 3200K balanced? - http://lanternlock.com/mogul.html. Also, I think I've seen these lanternlocks on set before, but I just want to make sure this site is legit before I buy (only because it looks kind of shady - www.lanternlock.com. If anyone else has experience with these, or can tell me this site is the real deal, let me know.

Edited by Alexander Disenhof, 26 October 2007 - 08:15 AM.

#16 Riku Naskali

Riku Naskali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

How about bulbs in 240V world? Any tips? I've never found bigger than 200W's.

#17 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:44 AM

Is this globe 3200K balanced? - <a href="http://lanternlock.com/mogul.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://lanternlock.com/mogul.html</a>. Also, I think I've seen these lanternlocks on set before, but I just want to make sure this site is legit before I buy (only because it looks kind of shady - www.lanternlock.com. If anyone else has experience with these, or can tell me this site is the real deal, let me know.

I bought some of him about 5 months ago and had no problem whatsoever. I think they took about a week arriving here in Prague, Czech Republic. I must also add that they are top good quality fixtures

The Slider

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineLab

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery