#1 Colm Whelan

Colm Whelan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 06 October 2007 - 05:34 AM

hi I have read the discussions on green screen but I have a particular problem. I am doing one monday morn and I have a lights issue. I am lighting quite a large area and have been delivered a mixture of daylight and tungsten lights. I know they can be colour corrected with gels. But I am using space lights to light the screen so there will be a tungsten wash. the scene is supposed to be daylight. I may have to use all tungsten lamps or I do have a couple of 2.5k hmi's and two 400 watt kinos with daylight bulbs. If I wash the screen with the space lights and then use the hmi's to light the subject will I get away with the mix. shooting on digibeta so I could balance the camera for 4300k. or should I shoot it all tungsten and have them colour correct it to fit the final image. anyone got any ideas?

thanks

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

You should try to get everything the same color temperature. Green screen is all about green color saturation, so I would avoid mixing color temps on the screen. And the fact that the scene is "supposed to be daylight" is irrelevant, assuming you want your foreground subject properly color balanced. White balance your camera for whatever color temperature you end up correcting your lights to.

#3 Colm Whelan

Colm Whelan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

You should try to get everything the same color temperature. Green screen is all about green color saturation, so I would avoid mixing color temps on the screen. And the fact that the scene is "supposed to be daylight" is irrelevant, assuming you want your foreground subject properly color balanced. White balance your camera for whatever color temperature you end up correcting your lights to.

thanks Michael. kind of what I was thinking. just that I have been delivered a mixture of hmi and tungsten lamps so I wanted to avoid cto' ing the hmi's as the space lamps are all I have to light the screen. But yeah colour correction to balance the lights and the camera sounds right. thanks

CineTape

Opal

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Metropolis Post