#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

I have a still photography project coming up. I have heard that Kodak provide 35mm still rolls of thier film stocks for testing. Is this true? How do i get hold of it etc etc?

I'd probably go for the 5218.

Cheers.

#2 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

I have a still photography project coming up. I have heard that Kodak provide 35mm still rolls of thier film stocks for testing. Is this true? How do i get hold of it etc etc?

I'd probably go for the 5218.

Cheers.

I don't know if Kodak provides them, but A&I -the still photography lab- in LA provides that service. They also develop and print to slides. Unfortunately, we attempted to test a variety of motion picture stocks in my cinematography class 2 weeks ago with film spooled and processed at A&I. Not only do they not meet their promised deadlines, the film was either processed or printed (or both) so poorly and inconsistently that it was impossible to glean much information from the results. It was pretty much a waste of time and money.

Best of luck. If you find someone that is providing this service and doing a good job I think there would be a number of interested parties in this forum.

#3 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

I don't know if Kodak provides them, but A&I -the still photography lab- in LA provides that service. They also develop and print to slides. Unfortunately, we attempted to test a variety of motion picture stocks in my cinematography class 2 weeks ago with film spooled and processed at A&I. Not only do they not meet their promised deadlines, the film was either processed or printed (or both) so poorly and inconsistently that it was impossible to glean much information from the results. It was pretty much a waste of time and money.

Best of luck. If you find someone that is providing this service and doing a good job I think there would be a number of interested parties in this forum.

How much do they charge? Is it stupidly expensive?

Do they just provide it in like 30 'frame rolls'. And can you use it in a normal still SLR camera?

I think i may take a trip there sometime this week.

#4 Toby L Edwards

Toby L Edwards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

Jamie'
You can buy 5218 pre rolled on 35mm SLR spools from www.Certifiedfilm.com about $6.00 a roll of 36 exp. I think?
And send it to DALE LABORATORIES 800-327-1776
I sent them few rolls last year and they did a good job. They also have free mailers!!
Hope this helps

Toby

#5 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:35 PM

Thats awesome!

Thank you very much for that.

#6 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

Unfortunately, we attempted to test a variety of motion picture stocks in my cinematography class 2 weeks ago with film spooled and processed at A&I. Not only do they not meet their promised deadlines, the film was either processed or printed (or both) so poorly and inconsistently that it was impossible to glean much information from the results. It was pretty much a waste of time and money.

Are you talking about prints onto regular photo paper? Motion picture stock doesn't print correctly onto photo paper because the contrast is so low. I experienced the same problem at the old RGB Color Lab in Hollywood. You certainly shouldn't judge the quality of the place based on their prints.

Now if the slides are MP print stock and THEY'RE messed up, there's a problem. Although my prints were crap, the slides were perfect.

#7 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

Are you talking about prints onto regular photo paper? Motion picture stock doesn't print correctly onto photo paper because the contrast is so low. I experienced the same problem at the old RGB Color Lab in Hollywood. You certainly shouldn't judge the quality of the place based on their prints.

Now if the slides are MP print stock and THEY'RE messed up, there's a problem. Although my prints were crap, the slides were perfect.

Yeah, i need slides to prject them at school. I'm doing a still photo project you see. :)

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport