#1 simo

simo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hi I have recently got myself a K3 and made my own battery adapter to take the so called "hearing aid" cells. My question is concerning the voltage of the batteries. The original russian batteries had a voltage of 1.3V, and the ones I am using are 1.5V. Do I need to compensate for this difference and meter with the needle slightly to the left of the V in the viewfinder?

I know, I know. I should use an external meter, but I sometimes like the convinience that shooting with the built in meter gives.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hi I have recently got myself a K3 and made my own battery adapter to take the so called "hearing aid" cells. The original russian batteries had a voltage of 1.3V, and the ones I am using are 1.5V.

Many meters including the K-3 are designed fro 1.35V Mecury cells. Unfortunatly these are now effectivly totaly banned worldwide. Closest available is the "Zinc-Air" type which is sold for Hearing Aid. They can be identified by the paper tab to open the vent holes and let in the air. Once open they only last a short while.
Their is an outfit that sells a "photographic" version which has smaller holes and so is said to last longer. The tradeoff of cost/time probaly depends on what you pay for hearing aid batteries.
Some Meters can use the less expensive alaline hearing air batteries with out being off. The best idea is to set up some repeatable lighting and try it both ways. using both Sunny Day and low artificial light scenes. You can plot how much the reading changes and judge the consitancy. the 1.55 Volt Silver cells are a constant voltage, the alkalines decline over time. the mercury were so consitant that they we used to adjust test equipment as a lab calibration voltage source.

#3 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:53 AM

Hi I have recently got myself a K3 and made my own battery adapter to take the so called "hearing aid" cells. My question is concerning the voltage of the batteries. The original russian batteries had a voltage of 1.3V, and the ones I am using are 1.5V. Do I need to compensate for this difference and meter with the needle slightly to the left of the V in the viewfinder?

I know, I know. I should use an external meter, but I sometimes like the convinience that shooting with the built in meter gives.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

The problem of K3 TTL meter not on at choose between 1.3 or 1.5 v battery, the problem in the sensor.
the sensor can lost at sensitivity and work wrong with 1,35 or 1,5 v battery, or not show any.
I repair of many K-3 cameras and a some cameras ask of seting of 2 x 1.5v batteries and re-adjust of TTL meter.
TTL meter have mechanism system of adjust of position of needle of indicator ( speed film setting ) and electrical ( resistor ).
I recommend. Set of modern 1.5 v battery and test of TTL meter. If the TTL meter show error, need adjust.
If you can't adjust, need install of 2x 1.5 v batteries and adjust again.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

I would use a handheld spot or incident light meter and be done with it. Never really liked the averaging metering on most non-spot in-camera light meters on older/ cheaper cameras myself anyway. Cons, you are going to have to buy a somewhat decent handheld spot or incident light meter. But (Pros), you can meter for the part of the picture you want to get rightly exposed without wondering how the in-camera meter is averaging out your light reading. It is all about control ultimately . . .

#5 simo

simo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

Thanks. I'm going to do some testing with a hand held meter. Just curious to know what others have been doing.
Simon

#6 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

I used a 1.4V hearing aid battery and a metal nut to fill the space, worked pretty good until I somehow broke the meter (I should have been more gentle with my camera). Now I use a handheld meter, at least I don't have to worry about bad readings from the internal meter. Many people say that the readings aren't too acurate, or that the meter doesn't work too well, I never had any problem during the time the meter worked...

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products