3 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:56 PM

This movie just came out on DVD; it's sort of a precursor to the look of "Legend" and some of the Elvish scenes in "Lord of the Rings".

Hal Mohr used both conventional diffusion of his days -- mainly nets, but also some sort of bubble or ring diffusion similar to Classic Softs, but he also did some odd things with frames of netting in front of the mattebox with glitter and sequins of some sort glued on, and then blew a fan on it to make it shimmer during the shot. This produced some very odd effects.

You can see some examples here. The first frame is a more conventional use of diffusion but then the look of the movie gets weirder once they move on to the magical forest, and sparkles and halations move and shimmer during the shots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:18 AM

Beautiful images

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:53 AM

This is f**kin' COOL. I wonder if you could replicate these with modern stocks? I can see this this used in several situations. Up to this point my favorite version of Midsummer Night's was the '68 version but I've never seen this version before, NOW I HAVE to see it. I love it when you show us stuff like this, Dave, it really fires the imagination. This, The Parallax View stuff and those Busby Berkley images are all seared into my mind. I don't know when but at SOME point in the future, they will come to me and I will end up drawing inspiration from them Thanks! :D

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:09 AM

I take it back, I DID see this version back in collage after when we had just finished a run if the play. But I had for gotten all these images. I mainly remembered what a good but different charatar Cagney's portrayal of Bottom was compared to what we had done. I DEFINATELYhave yo look at it again, this time with less tunnel vision.

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio