#1 John Nguyen

John Nguyen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

Hi, I'm making the transition from still photography to videography. So some of what's new to me is this fps business and flicker/blur.

I'll be shooting some demo reel footage for a group of martial artists doing fight sequences this weekend. I'll be using a Sony PD150. I'm already cutting out audio to streamline the workload, as they won't even need it. Anyways, I'm not too familiar as to what shutter speed and fps to use (from I understand the PD150 shoots at only 60i?). I've shot martial arts for years in still photography and usually went at 1/250th as it gave me a 95% frozen image with some desirable blur to show movement.

Now, I'm guessing for video it may be best to have them move at near full-speed and use 1/125th shutterspeed to avoid some kind of "stroboscopic" look that a faster shutterspeed would give me? Or should I shoot at 1/60th and have the martial artists move at half of the speed they're used to and just speed it all up in post-processing?

What values do most Hong Kong teams shoot at? My guys will be mostly wushu kung fu martial artists and all of them can move pretty fast with good control. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

#2 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

Hi, I'm making the transition from still photography to videography. So some of what's new to me is this fps business and flicker/blur.

I'll be shooting some demo reel footage for a group of martial artists doing fight sequences this weekend. I'll be using a Sony PD150. I'm already cutting out audio to streamline the workload, as they won't even need it. Anyways, I'm not too familiar as to what shutter speed and fps to use (from I understand the PD150 shoots at only 60i?). I've shot martial arts for years in still photography and usually went at 1/250th as it gave me a 95% frozen image with some desirable blur to show movement.

Now, I'm guessing for video it may be best to have them move at near full-speed and use 1/125th shutterspeed to avoid some kind of "stroboscopic" look that a faster shutterspeed would give me? Or should I shoot at 1/60th and have the martial artists move at half of the speed they're used to and just speed it all up in post-processing?

What values do most Hong Kong teams shoot at? My guys will be mostly wushu kung fu martial artists and all of them can move pretty fast with good control. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

Tape is cheap! Test! Some video cameras go up to at least 1/1000 (popular with golfers.)
Let your martial artists do their thing. Heck, you could stand in front of the camera and just
wave your arms and legs and test ten shutter speeds in ten minutes. See what you like.

My Panasonic DVC-30 Mini-DV camera goes up to 1/8000.

#3 John Nguyen

John Nguyen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Tape is cheap! Test! Some video cameras go up to at least 1/1000 (popular with golfers.)
Let your martial artists do their thing. Heck, you could stand in front of the camera and just
wave your arms and legs and test ten shutter speeds in ten minutes. See what you like.

My Panasonic DVC-30 Mini-DV camera goes up to 1/8000.

Haha, yeah, that's what I did just last night. On my computer monitor it seemed as though 1/100th was giving me just a bit of blur when moving at full speed. At around 1/250th it seemed to be giving me a noticable "stroboscopic" effect a la Gladiator. I'm still not settled on what kind would be more fitting for a demo reel martial arts fight, however. I'm starting to lean towards shooting a sequence both ways just to get safety coverage. And does anyone know if the Sony PD150 can have its framerate settings changed? I'm borring this camera and the manual is missing. Does anyone know of any website that lists all the features of this camera out in detail? Thanx again!

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc