Photo

What are the time constraints for a short film to be considered for an Academy Award?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

I'm just curious if there's a "too short" or "too long" program material to be considered.
Anyone know where I can get this information?

MP

#2 Steve Wallace

Steve Wallace
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Other
  • Burbank, CA

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

Needs to be less than 40 minutes w/ titles.

http://www.oscars.org/80academyawards/rules/rule19.html

I. DEFINITIONS and CATEGORIES

1. A short film is defined as a motion picture that is not more than 40 minutes in running time (including all credits).

2. An award shall be given for the best achievement in each of two categories:

ANIMATED FILMS
An animated film is created by using a frame-by-frame technique, and usually falls into one of the two general fields of animation: character or abstract. Some of the techniques of animating films include cel animation, computer animation, stop-motion, clay animation, pixilation, cutouts, pins, camera multiple pass imagery, kaleidoscopic effects and drawing on the film frame itself.

LIVE ACTION FILMS
A live action film uses primarily live action techniques as the basic medium of entertainment.

3. DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN THE LIVE ACTION CATEGORY. AN ANIMATED DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT MAY BE SUBMITTED IN EITHER THE ANIMATED SHORT FILM CATEGORY OR THE DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT CATEGORY, BUT NOT BOTH.

4. Previews and advertising films shall be excluded. A sequence from a feature-length film (an animated credit sequence, e.g.) may not be excerpted and submitted as a short film. An unaired episode of an established TV series or an unsold TV series pilot will not be accepted as a short film in the Academy's Short Film competition.

#3 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the info and the link.
I find this interesting as well (makes it damn hard to enter, if you ask me!):

(a) The film must have been publicly exhibited for paid admission in 16mm, 35mm or 70mm film or in a 24- or 48-frame progressive scan format with a minimum projector resolution of 2048 by 1080 pixels; source image format conforming to SMPTE 428-1-2006 D-Cinema Distribution Master ? Image Characteristics; image compression (if used) conforming to ISO/IEC 15444-1 (JPEG 2000), and image and sound file formats suitable for exhibition in commercial Digital Cinema sites, OR legacy Digital Cinema equipment as previously defined by the Academy, i.e., minimum native resolution 1280 by 1024 pixels with pixel bit depth, color primaries, and image and sound file formats suitable for Digital Cinema sites, in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County for a run of at least three consecutive days (no fewer than two screenings a day). Student films cannot qualify in this manner.
OR

(B) The film must have participated in a ?recognized? competitive film festival and MUST HAVE WON THE BEST-IN-CATEGORY AWARD as specified in the Academy Festival List. Proof of award must be submitted with the entry. ?Recognized? competitive film festivals comprise those established film festivals on the Academy's Short Films Awards Festival List, which may be obtained from the Academy.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

Well you're going for an Oscar, they just don't hand the things out to any body.

If you think that's a lot of hoops, try making a feature.

R,

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Opal

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport