Photo

How do I find people to work on a short film?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

So I'm taking a creative writing this year (tis my senior year in high school) and I wrote this short story for a project in that class. I was thinking I'd like to make it into a short film. Any time I've mentioned making a short movie to most of my friends they get excited and want to do it it. ...but the thing is that's only about two people and they don't know anything about working behind the camera or acting in front of it. I know people who are really into acting, and I know people who know how to work/own a decent camera (something better than just a small camcorder) ...and all around my age. The thing is they're all people who I don't know that well and/or just never talk to.
How would I go about getting them interested in making a short film? And if I decide to actually make it, should I get things like locations, funding, ect. before I find people to help on/off screen, or the other way around?
I also know several people (adults...with real jobs in the industry) in my city who I'm sure could help with advice, and perhaps getting equipment (cameras, ect.) and a studio if it needs it, but they're all far too busy to actually work on some short film being made by some kid.
I was hoping I could find some advice or thoughts here on how to go about the very very beginnings of making a short film.

#2 Douglas Sunlin

Douglas Sunlin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

Julia, I have been having good luck advertising in Craigslist. Stress that you are looking to make a quality production and not cutr corners. Many times one good contact will yield new contacts.

#3 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

Senior cinematography students at film schools, signs up at camera rental companies, word of mouth.

#4 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

I also know several people (adults...with real jobs in the industry) in my city who I'm sure could help with advice, and perhaps getting equipment (cameras, ect.) and a studio if it needs it, but they're all far too busy to actually work on some short film being made by some kid.

It sounds as if you already have a decent handle on all the elements that it will take to create a quality project. Understand that most short projects have no means of making a return on the money so all of your funding will have to come from family, relatives, and very generous friends.

If you need more money, consider approaching local small businesses. You could promise product placement (for what it's worth).

Hopefully, you'll be able to get equipment, locations, and people for free. You'll likely have to pay for film or tape stock and food to feed the volunteers.

If you can have a flexible schedule, trying to find a willing and enthusiastic "professional" like those you mentioned above will help you a lot. Usually on short projects it is the DP who manages to supply the project with all of the camera, grip, and lighting necessary either because he/she owns it or because he/she has connections. Your best bet is to start there and hope the project gains momentum, and people, as resources are secured.

Good luck!

#5 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

Thanks everybody who replied!
I'll try craigslist, and also if decide to really get into it i can make some posters and put them up around town to try and get people interested.
i also might have work tomorrow (am interning with a director and also with a cinematographer) and will try and bring it up and see what they've got to say about it too (maybe, hopefully, they'll want to help :rolleyes: ...but i kind of doubt it as they're busy with other stuff...but we'll see).

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Metropolis Post

CineTape

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera