• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:42 AM

Has anyone tested the new Fuji stock yet? I was curious if it's something like 200T in terms of grain structure. In other words, is it an ideal blow-up to 35mm or HD scan film compared to 100 or 200 stocks?

#2 Matthew Espenshade

Matthew Espenshade

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Has anyone tested the new Fuji stock yet? I was curious if it's something like 200T in terms of grain structure. In other words, is it an ideal blow-up to 35mm or HD scan film compared to 100 or 200 stocks?

I'm suprised no ones responded to this, but if anyones still reading. I've actually shot several tests and a couple of shorts on the Vivid stock on 16mm and I've really fallen in love with it. I've viewed it with SD trasfers and 16mm film projection and from what I've seen its grain structure is comparable to Vision 2 100T and 200T, though it seems obvious to say so. Obviously, flatter lighting with more mid tones will show more grain, most of the noirish stuff that I've shot with no very few mid tones looked nearly grainless.

I don't think there's a better stock out there right now if your finishing photochemically and going for some level of contrast and it should look great blown up to 35.

#3 Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

I'm suprised no ones responded to this, but if anyones still reading. I've actually shot several tests and a couple of shorts on the Vivid stock on 16mm and I've really fallen in love with it. I've viewed it with SD trasfers and 16mm film projection and from what I've seen its grain structure is comparable to Vision 2 100T and 200T, though it seems obvious to say so. Obviously, flatter lighting with more mid tones will show more grain, most of the noirish stuff that I've shot with no very few mid tones looked nearly grainless.

I don't think there's a better stock out there right now if your finishing photochemically and going for some level of contrast and it should look great blown up to 35.

I am dying to see some clips of Vivid 160T! It would be awesome if you could post a small clip? I miss the more punchy EXR stocks. How does it compare?

I know low contrast is great for safe, bland video transfers, but I'm hoping that this is a start for more choice in color film stocks.

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

I know, I love EXR too. I've got four rolls of Pro8mm's 5247 cut down, and one roll of 16mm 7245, then that's my lot.

#5 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

Here are a couple stills a took from a recent shoot with my Scoopic. Focus is slightly off. Not quite sure if the grain matches 100T, might be slightly higher. While I am happy with it, so much depends on the colorist that it is hard to really judge it fairly. I'm too used to Kodak stocks and find it harder to get the results I'm looking for from Fuji.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for posting the stills! It does look a little grainy. It definitely has a faster dropoff to shadows than Vision 2.

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC