camera question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arun Rudra

Arun Rudra
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hello

can i get image equivalent to 35mm motion picture from a panasonic dvx100b?

Please help me. Thanks in advance

#2 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

Hello

can i get image equivalent to 35mm motion picture from a panasonic dvx100b?

Please help me. Thanks in advance

No.

Im actually not sure what you're asking about when comparing it to 35mm.

Are you asking resolution ? - no
Are you asking about latitude ? - no
Are you asking about aspect ratio ? - no/maybe
Are you asking about depth of field ? - no
Are you asking about colour depth ? - no
Are you asking about variable speed shooting ? - no

There are several things you can do to get some of the above issues closer to 35mm, but it's never the same. That's why people still shoot 35mm !

Which of the above were you thinking ?

jb

#3 Arun Rudra

Arun Rudra
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for your response.

The thing is i am very new to this field. I am on discussion to produce a regional film and i am making this film for theatrical release. This is small budget film, so i am planning to buy a panasonic dvx100b which i saw a trailer shooted by dvx100b with andromeda posted on one of the forums on this site. So my plan is to shoot with this camera on to a hard drive and transfer it on to the film (35mm or what ever terms they use).

Can i do this?

#4 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for your response.

The thing is i am very new to this field. I am on discussion to produce a regional film and i am making this film for theatrical release. This is small budget film, so i am planning to buy a panasonic dvx100b which i saw a trailer shooted by dvx100b with andromeda posted on one of the forums on this site. So my plan is to shoot with this camera on to a hard drive and transfer it on to the film (35mm or what ever terms they use).

Can i do this?

Of course you can !

I have shot footage on a mobile phone that's been blown up to 35mm. Like shooting with most video and digital cameras there are many things you can do to modify the look and to improve the result, but it really depends on what you're trying to go for. There are many many discussions here on list about different adaptors and techniques you can employ and you should take the time to read them all. Then on top of that there are also many many ways you can transfer the video back to film that will also have an affect on your end result.

jb

#5 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:14 PM

No.

Im actually not sure what you're asking about when comparing it to 35mm.

There are several things you can do to get some of the above issues closer to 35mm, but it's never the same. That's why people still shoot 35mm !

Which of the above were you thinking ?

jb

I'll clarify on tis simple response:

Are you asking resolution ? - no, not direct from the camera as it is. there are two options, the first, easiest and cheepest is to upsize in post via the tutorials found on DVX User.
The second is to get the andromida modification like you mentioned. Its more expensive, is warnty voiding and limits the mobility ofthe camera. BUT, it has AMAZING color reproduction and VERY nice rezolution. Still not the same as 35mm film but much more acceptible.

Are you asking about latitude ? - no, but it is much closer then any camera (except maybe the XL2) in its price range.
Are you asking about aspect ratio ? - yes, see the DVX User tutorial mentioned aove.
Are you asking about depth of field ? - no, unless you were to get a 35adapter that would allow you to use 35mm camera lenses, giving you the same DOF as most cine cameras. there are many other tricks to get shallow DOF.
Are you asking about colour depth ? - nothing (except the higher end HD cameras maybe) can rival 35mm (or 16mm for that matter) for color depth/reproduction. but, as with latitude, it is likely the best you will find in this price range.
Are you asking about variable speed shooting ? - no, but with After Effects 7 or later you can acheive a VERY good substitute via pixle motion time remaping. it actualy creates frames to give video a (almost) true slow motion effect.

Hope that helpped a little,
Dory

Edited by Dory Breaux CDBProductions, 16 October 2007 - 11:14 PM.

#6 Arun Rudra

Arun Rudra
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:04 AM

Thanks a lot

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Technodolly

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Willys Widgets