#1 Gilbert fachkha

Gilbert fachkha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • canada

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:48 AM

Hello , i am little bit confused about an hd cam to shoot my short movie i dont have a big buget but i can afford a good cam.
thanks for help

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

Are you trying to rent or buy a camera?

The most likely HDCAM rental will be the F900, maybe an HDW-750.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

In PAL countries the HDW 750 is commonly used on shorts. Usually because there are more around and it's cheaper to rent than the F900.

#4 Gilbert fachkha

Gilbert fachkha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • canada

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:59 AM

Are you trying to rent or buy a camera?

The most likely HDCAM rental will be the F900, maybe an HDW-750.

i am going to rent one , is it difficlt to shoot in xd cam hd and edit or its preferable to rent f900 and edit at home?
one more question plz : what is the difference between the super 16mm and the hd "exposure values"
thank you

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:44 AM

i am going to rent one , is it difficlt to shoot in xd cam hd and edit or its preferable to rent f900 and edit at home?
one more question plz : what is the difference between the super 16mm and the hd "exposure values"
thank you

If you're editing at home the XDCAM HD is 35 Mbit/s where as HDCAM is 140 Mbit/s, so you're going to need a more powerful system to handle the HDCAM.

320 ASA is commonly taken as the speed on most 2/3" HD cameras, but you really need to test because it can vary depending on how the camera is set up.

#6 Mike Brennan

Mike Brennan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

thank you

Gilbert,
HDCAM 140mbs has to be uncompressed to 1920x1080 4:2:2 10bit to edit. Storage works out at about 8GB per minute.

XDCAMHD can be edited whilst still compressed, but is only available at the moment in a relativley poor camera that has 1/2 inch chips and lenses.

An older f900 will deliver better pictures than a 750 especially for large screen work.
You may find that an older f900 will be same price to rent as a 750 but be carefull that the f900 is in good condition.
A f900 or Panasonic 900 with a lens and a few batteries and mattbox would be up to £1800 week if you can find an owner operator who wants to be part of your gig.
But the first hurdle is insurance of rented equipment.
Please look into this now as you may find it impossible for you to insure kit to the satisfaction of a company based outside of Lebanon.

The rental compay may insisit on an asistant to go with the kit. I think an owner operator who would would accompany the kit and who has their own insurance is a good option for you. Pity that I've sold my f900 then!

In general it is not possible for citizens of one country to takeout insurance policy in foreign country unless they have a business (in the foreign country).
It is understandable that rental compaies are very wary of accepting a rental to a foreign company with a foreign insurance policy.

You can offline anything at home without even much experience :) but "finishing" including colour grading and audio to a professional standard takes experience.

The new EX camera from Sony is meant to have 1920x1080 pixels and 14 bit AD. If you are on abudget this is worth considering, as is the RED camera.

Mike Brennan

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport