3 replies to this topic

#1 Lavern Templeton

Lavern Templeton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

I'd like to transfer some Super8 rolls so I can edit on my PC. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go and what formats (DVD, MiniDV etc.) to use?

Thanks

LT

#2 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:59 AM

I'd like to transfer some Super8 rolls so I can edit on my PC. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go and what formats (DVD, MiniDV etc.) to use?

Thanks

LT

If you are in the USA, and more specifically on the West Coast, I would recommend Spectra film and video as I know Charles Doran would also. As far as format, MiniDV is the happy medium for quality to cost ratio. DVD is WAY too compressed so dont even consider that. Digital Beta Cam is pricey for the deck so unless you already have one, I'd rule that one out (DigiBeta has 2:1 compression ratio...weehaw!). That leaves MiniDV...I believe it has a 5:1 compression ratio if Im not mistaken. DVD has about a 10:1 compression ratio so it's very lossy.

There is a lab on the East Coast that will transfer your footage to Hard Drive in Uncompressed 4:2:2 Quicktime files but its more pricey. I personally dont think its worth the money unless your going to edit and film out to a higher gauge.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:02 AM

You left out betacam sp, which is actually the best overall choice when cost is factored in. A betacam sp dub to mini-dv when properly done still produces a very acceptable second generation copy. The advantage of the betacam sp as the actual master is it is a better archival format, is not compressed, and when imported via a kona card at DVC-Pro 50 codec is superior to mini-dv.

Otherwise, Mini-dv is fine if you want to keep it as cheap and simple as possible.

#4 Lavern Templeton

Lavern Templeton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm actually in Chicago, but it seems the labs here only process 16 & 35. Such is life.

LT

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Visual Products

CineTape

Technodolly