#1 Jordan Hassay

Jordan Hassay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Student
  • Baltimore, MD - soon to be Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:08 AM

I've got what seems to be an Ikelite underwater housing unit for my Rex4 Bolex. It came with a little Ikelite paraphernalia, anyways. I called, and they did produce a few units for the Bolex in the early 1970's. Unlike the black Paillard housing, this one is a large, rectangular, acrylic (.5") box that you can see through. It has knobs and handles for starting the motor via the button on the front, winding the camera, and adjusting the focus and aperture. Everything seems to fall right into place except for one hitch that I can't wrap my mind around: the two holes in the bottom of the housing unit line up perfectly with the 3/8" holes in the Bolex's base, but the holes in the housing unit are only 1/4". This means that any screws that will fit the holes will not be big enough to actually screw in to the base.

My solution is that I'm planning to drill the holes wider to accommodate a 3/8" screw. The problem I have with this is that the housing unit has definitely been used before me extensively. It shows signs of wear and good maintainance. So before I start drilling holes in this poor, misunderstood housing unit, if anyone can help me figure out why it worked for the previous owner but doesn't for me, that would be grand.

Thanks,

Jordan

#2 Ben Trettel

Ben Trettel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

The previous owner probably used one of those 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch tripod adapters. They're in most photo stores and all over eBay and are relatively cheap.

The Slider

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Opal

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS