Photo

Creating low-contrast, high detail, low saturation image.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bartek Nalazek

Bartek Nalazek

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

Hi everybody, I'm preparing to shoot a 30-40 min. film, mostly on V2 500T EXP., where I would like to create a very low saturated but highly detailed, low contrast image and I'm trying to figure out how. It's a low budget film, so there's no chance for DI. I always wanted to make a film with a lot of details in shadows and lights but somehow i don't really know how to approach it. I'm very open for any suggestions and ideas.

Bart

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

You can try overexposing and pull-processing the film. You can also try flashing the film with a Varicon, which can lighten the shadows a little bit (but flashing too much just makes the blacks look milky). Ultra-Contrast filters can "fog" the shadows in a similar way, but the effect depends on the amount of highlights in the shot and ambient light hitting the filter.

But you'll really have to test these methods to see what techniques give you the look you're after.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Unfortunately, contrast and sharpness are related, so a low-contrast image will inherently look softer than a high-contrast shot, so I'm not sure how you can make the image "more detailed" short of using a larger negative format. At minimum, use the sharpest lenses you can.

You can start out with a lower-contrast stock, which will have softer colors. Fuji Eterna 400T would be a good place to start. Or Kodak Expression 500T.

You could overexpose and pull-process the stock to lower contrast/color even more.

Beyond that, you can flash the negative, but then you start to get greyer blacks.

You could use contrast-lowering filters. Most soften the image, except for UltraCons, which are more like flashing.

#4 Bartek Nalazek

Bartek Nalazek

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

thank you for your suggestions, they're very helpful, i'll star testing.

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies