Rebecca Varni

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

I've been in other situations, martial arts, where I can contact dealers and get test items. Like a test katana that's worth a lot and they'll let me demo it for a while. It's essentially a katana that's only lent out for demos.
Do major camera manufacturers do this? And how on earth do students go about getting them to allow some demo time with the camera?

#2 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:48 PM

I've been in other situations, martial arts, where I can contact dealers and get test items. Like a test katana that's worth a lot and they'll let me demo it for a while. It's essentially a katana that's only lent out for demos.
Do major camera manufacturers do this? And how on earth do students go about getting them to allow some demo time with the camera?

You can ask ?

I have found most are pretty generous with lending items. Yes it's usually possible to get demo units form the manufactures. The main issue comes from lining up a few of them. I've managed to loan camera's from a company like Sony, but you'll be lucky if you get a lens with it, much less a Mattebox, follow focus or even batteries ! They are far from complete kits. They are usually backup bodies in case a unit that's been sold goes down.

I find it's better to approach a rental company. that way you get a more complete package and you can even test different models against each other. It's usually a bit harder to get them away from their premises though. Luckily, most have test bay's and perhaps you'll be able to test to your satisfaction there. Given you're a student, perhaps you can organise a day where some cameras are brought to your campus ?

jb

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly