#1 Jack Brandhorst

Jack Brandhorst
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Hey folks,

Is there a stand out there that can double as a light stand and camera mount. I wan't to rent a stationary stand that I can use to overhang a Fresnel as a down light but would also, in the interest of saving money use the same arm to hold my 2/3" DVCAM. Does such a stand and assembly exist. The Camera lens needs to point straight down prpendicular w/ the ground for a static overhead shot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
jack

#2 Daniel Madsen

Daniel Madsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Student
  • Boston

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:28 AM

http://www.modernstu...ewproducts.html

The DIGITAL CAMERA 5/8" STARTER is an option.

In the interest of saving money you could also clamp a tripod to the gobo arm of a c-stand. The c-stand (or combo stand??) quickly becomes a 20+ foot tripod....run a video cable down to the ground and you can see what you're shooting.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:44 AM

I'd rig a goal post around 2 light stands with baby pin tops (or even 2 senior stands with senior to baby pin adapters in them), 2 pipe clamps with baby receivers, and piece of pipe long enough to keep the stands out of frame. That would be sturdy, stabile, and everything being used would be performing its designed function.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

I've rigged a goal post for the vertical downwards shots with 2/3" cameras without any problems. However, I wouldn't use a boom on a C stand for a 2/3" DVCAM camera.

#5 Jack Brandhorst

Jack Brandhorst
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

I've rigged a goal post for the vertical downwards shots with 2/3" cameras without any problems. However, I wouldn't use a boom on a C stand for a 2/3" DVCAM camera.

How would I mount the camera to the pipe (goal post
0?>

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

How would I mount the camera to the pipe (goal post
0?>

In our case we used part of a car mount, but you could do the same thing with a metal plate and use a couple of U bolts to attach the plate to the pipe. The camera's tripod plate is screwed onto the metal plate before you attach it to the pipe (make sure you have clearance for the nut head and the pipe). You have to make sure that whatever is clamping the pipe to the stands at either end is tight enough to prevent the pipe from rotating when the camera is mounted.

#7 Jack Brandhorst

Jack Brandhorst
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

In our case we used part of a car mount, but you could do the same thing with a metal plate and use a couple of U bolts to attach the plate to the pipe. The camera's tripod plate is screwed onto the metal plate before you attach it to the pipe (make sure you have clearance for the nut head and the pipe). You have to make sure that whatever is clamping the pipe to the stands at either end is tight enough to prevent the pipe from rotating when the camera is mounted.

thx thats very helpful

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Metropolis Post

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Technodolly