Jump to content


Photo

Mole-Richardson Baby smells like urine when powered up/why?


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

I came across a still photographer who was selling a lot of his stuff including the odd
non flash unit that he had. I was excited to buy a Mole-Richardson 1000w Baby
for $90.00 with barn doors and a lamp to boot! I turned it on and it worked great.

It's in near perfect condition. Brand new with barn doors it would cost $700.00 or
more.

However, once I had it and had it on for more than a couple of minutes; it smelled...
exactly like walking down a back alley... like urine. I let it run for a couple of hours
today and it still seemed to be exuding that odor.

It had apparently been sitting in this guy's garage so maybe a cat or something
kept hitting it but I don't see any indication of any residue of any kind. I'm going
to give it a more thorough cleaning but has anybody ever come across anything like
this?

At this point, I would be leery of using it on most sets.
  • 0

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

It had apparently been sitting in this guy's garage so maybe a cat or something
kept hitting it but I don't see any indication of any residue of any kind. I'm going
to give it a more thorough cleaning but has anybody ever come across anything like
this?

Try disassembling it and soaking it in a 25% or so bleach solution. I'd pull the lamp burner (that's what the old timers call the socket assembly) and wiring out first. Incidently, if the wiring is about 1/4" thick, fuzzy, and white, it's asbestos wiring. Replacing it with modern high temperature wiring wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • 0

#3 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:41 PM

Try disassembling it and soaking it in a 25% or so bleach solution. I'd pull the lamp burner (that's what the old timers call the socket assembly) and wiring out first. Incidently, if the wiring is about 1/4" thick, fuzzy, and white, it's asbestos wiring. Replacing it with modern high temperature wiring wouldn't be a bad idea.


Excellent, thanks!
  • 0

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

Try disassembling it and soaking it in a 25% or so bleach solution.

Perhaps try a product made for removing pet odors from hardwood floors, usually a mild acid. Home Depot should have something.



-- J.S.
  • 0

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

Perhaps try a product made for removing pet odors from hardwood floors, usually a mild acid. Home Depot should have something.



-- J.S.

Nature's Miracle.
  • 0


FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Opal

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC