Davis Silis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

I have seen that Kodak give a different ASA rating for using their 500T stock with an 85 filter (e.g. it becomes 320 ASA).

Now, I'd like to find out when metering, whether I should set the meter at 320 ASA but call it 500 on the neg report sheet, or if I should leave the meter at 500 and calculate my f-stop from the base reading with the amount of light lost through the filter (i.e. 2/3 stop).

If both are acceptable, is one more reliable, or considered more conventional from the lab's perspective?

Thanks.

#2 Toby L Edwards

Toby L Edwards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

I personally would rate the film at 320asa on my meter, so I don't have to remember to make a 3/4 stop adjustment to compensate for the 85 filter for every reading. Not sure about the camera report sheet though. I don't think it makes a difference because the film is properly exposed and your processing normally.
Toby

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

The lab processes all color negative stocks, no matter what their speed is, in the same ECN-2 bath, so their only question to you would be if you want normal processing, or push or pull processing, and by how many stops.

How you choose to expose the stock is your own business; you just have to tell them how you want it developed: NORMAL, PUSH, or PULL (or special processes like SKIP BLEACH.)

I always change the ASA setting on my meter to compensate for filters.

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:51 PM

Now, I'd like to find out when metering, whether I should set the meter at 320 ASA but call it 500 on the neg report sheet...

You should note down everything about how it was shot anyway, just for your own records and as a reminder.

example: 500T w/ 85 filter, rated 320 ASA

Most people change the ASA on their meter so they don't have to constantly think about what filtration and stop loss they're experiencing each time they check their readings. "Set it and forget it" as Ron from Ronco would say ;)

From the lab's perspective, they don't really care what you write on the camera report. Only whether you want it processed normal, pushed or pull. But if you're getting a print of your footage, you should make a note on your order sheet that they should time to the grey card you probably shot at the head of the roll.

#5 Davis Silis

Davis Silis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:46 AM

Thank you all for your responeses and for the clarification. It's been very helpful.

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery