Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I have searched on the net a lot for k-3 underwater housings, and found very little info. I have now built one myself and thought I'd share a couple of pics with anyone interested:

http://www.kameraundervann.no/k3.html

I've taken it to 15m so far and don't see the need to take it much deeper. So far it only has a control for the run switch, but I will install controls for apperture, focus and winding later.

Thanks for looking,

Kristian

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

Wow excellent, professional job!

I'm a big K3 fan myself and underwater shooter on occasion.

Not sure how you'll over come the winding issue? But you've come this far.

A motorized K3 would of course been easier to work with in this application.

I'm assuming you just point in the general direction and pulll the trigger?

No video assist for monitoring I take it?

R,

#3 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:23 AM

Thanks Richard,

Now why would I need an electric motor? I had wind-up toys as a kid, and now it seems I still do :lol: The winding shouldn't be too hard to sort out, so that's the next thing to install.
I will be looking into a video tap as soon as everything else works smoothly. But this project has taken so much time (actually not this one - the failed ones before it...) that I want to shoot a little "blind" first to regain inspiration hehe...

Kristian

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

Are you diving with a tank or breath hold?

I can see if you're doing breath hold that you could hand wind it, as you can't stay down that long any way.

But with SCUBA you can't go up and down in rapid succession, so if you had a motor you could just keep shooting until it rolls out. I suppose you can wind it under water, I would use a crank system so you can wind it very fast in a continuous rotating motion. If you have a "key" similar to what the K3 has now you have to stop after each turn, take your hand off, turn your hand. The whole motion is very time consuming.

Getting a water tight seal for a crank could be tricky, a motor means one less hole in your housing.

Are you using a red filter on the lens?

R,

#5 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

Are you diving with a tank or breath hold?

I can see if you're doing breath hold that you could hand wind it, as you can't stay down that long any way.

But with SCUBA you can't go up and down in rapid succession, so if you had a motor you could just keep shooting until it rolls out. I suppose you can wind it under water, I would use a crank system so you can wind it very fast in a continuous rotating motion. If you have a "key" similar to what the K3 has now you have to stop after each turn, take your hand off, turn your hand. The whole motion is very time consuming.

Getting a water tight seal for a crank could be tricky, a motor means one less hole in your housing.

Are you using a red filter on the lens?

R,

The plan is to wind it under water when with scuba. with a crank a bit larger than the key on the camera itself. Not sure about filters yet, I guess that will depend on depth and wether I bring lights. I have yet to shoot with the camera underwater, so there will be a bit of trial and error. I am planning a couple of uw shots for a music video soon, but that will be in a well lit pool at 2m max.

Kristian

#6 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

That is pretty bad ass! If you ever decide to make some for sale, let me know! I totally could use one . . .

#7 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:48 PM

That is pretty bad ass! If you ever decide to make some for sale, let me know! I totally could use one . . .

Thanks, I'll let you know..... I'll be making one for my video camera next. By that time I guess I'll be thoroughly sick of messing around with it :o

Kristian

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC