Photo

K40 Super-8 Cartridge - Where to process in England?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

I've just found my Bell & Howell Filmosonic super-8 camera from my youth and it still has a K40 cartridge in from ten years ago...!!!

I'm pretty excited about it because I've heard that it might still be processable. Problem is, even if it hasn't disintegrated, I have no idea where to take it to get it processed. I've read in lots of places on the net that K40 was deleted from manaufacture some years ago now. But is there anywhere left in London that will still develop it for me?

(It also has sync sound that was recorded when I shot it.)

Sorry, bit of a newbie with 8mm. I can actually remember buying the cartridge ten years ago and it did come with a Kodak envelope to post it back for free processing, but that envelope was lost a long time ago now. Am I still entitled to the free processing on it???

Thank you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:06 PM

Sorry, here are those pics again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1585 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

I'm pretty excited about it because I've heard that it might still be processable. Problem is, even if it hasn't disintegrated, I have no idea where to take it to get it processed. I've read in lots of places on the net that K40 was deleted from manaufacture some years ago now. But is there anywhere left in London that will still develop it for me?

I think Dwaines in Parsons Ks, USA may be the only place running Kodachrome anymore, correct me if I am wrong. Nice people good work www.k14movies.com

-Rob-

#4 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

I think Dwaines in Parsons Ks, USA may be the only place running Kodachrome anymore, correct me if I am wrong. Nice people good work www.k14movies.com

-Rob-

Ah, thankyou Rob.

Shame, I'm in England and was hoping for somewhere local. I've found out since I made my original post that there's a place in London called The Widescreen Centre, on Dorset Street, that will take the cartridges and have them processed for you. But it takes 12 days. I have a feeling they send them somwhere else, rather than do it on their own premises. It may well be that they r indeed sending them to the States as u suggest... Anyone know for sure? Anywhere where I can get a quicker turn-around in England?

Thanks.

#5 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

Shame, I'm in England and was hoping for somewhere local.

MY understanding is that Kansas is the only location that still does K-14 Super 8. I have also seen various referenced as to if they will accept the perpaid film as pre-paid. Sugest you send payment but mention that it was pre-paid, and if they can get their money from Kodak they will probaly send a refund. The perpaid film has different edge printing than the USA film with separate processing.

#6 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:14 AM

MY understanding is that Kansas is the only location that still does K-14 Super 8. I have also seen various referenced as to if they will accept the perpaid film as pre-paid. Sugest you send payment but mention that it was pre-paid, and if they can get their money from Kodak they will probaly send a refund. The perpaid film has different edge printing than the USA film with separate processing.

Dwaynes IS the only processer of cine kodachrome in the world, think another lab in the US can process k/c but as a b/w image. All process paid super 8 k/c finished last September, kodak gave everyone who were regularly using kodachrome plenty of notification, it was widely reported on forums too. FYI, process paid k/c in the 16mm, ds-8 and double 8 format was honoured till 31 dec 2006, the processing being done by Dwaynes on behalf of kodak. If your super 8 cart says kma 464p ( p for process paid) then Dwaynes will process this film at your expense. Understand pre-paid envolopes are different, i've never seen them in Europe. Shipping from the uk to Dwaynes and back takes 10 days inc processing, i ship via registered air mail, with fedex shipping on the return, dont forget the customs label when u ship.

Edited by andy oliver, 28 October 2007 - 03:17 AM.

#7 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

Without wanting to unnecessarily repeat what Andy Oliver has already correctly stated:

- Dwaynes is the only remaining lab doing K-14 process for Super 8 film in both commag and sepmag cartridges (yours is commag)

- Prepaid envelopes or pre-paid processing is no longer honoured by Kodak since the last remaining Kodak lab in Lausanne closed last summer.

- Sending film cartridges in pre-paid envelopes to the Kodak collection point addresses or directly to the Lausanne address with only result in a return-to-sender with an attached letter that Kodak is no longer honouring development and that the only remaining lab is Dwaynes.

- Development costs USD 10 at Dwaynes, and it has an excellent reputation with expired film stock as well

- its website: http://www.dwaynesph...kodachrome.html

- Widescreen Centre does not have any own processing. It forwards Vision2 and X-series films to Andec in Berlin, dito for the E-64 requiring the E-6 process; and K-40 films requiring K-14 process to Dwayne's. The point in channeling the film through them is questionable, as it is as easy (if not better with regard to mail control) to send it to Dwayne's directly from the UK.

- Do not expect a beautiful K-40 image after development, as the film will certainly process well, but not as expected with regard to grain & colour.

Keep us posted about the results.

-Michael

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Opal

CineLab

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC