#1 David Alp

David Alp

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:33 PM

I have just used up my final stocks of super 8 that have been kept in the freezer for about 4 or 5 years now... I had 4 Kodachrome 40 Sound films and 4 Kodachrome 40 silent (both super 8)... Anyway, I've not used super 8 since 2002 as have been very very discouraged from using it since Kodak discontinued the sound stock :angry: . I sort of just 'walked away' from super 8 film-making... But I knew it was taking up space in the freezer so I shot a movie... Anyway, I still have the orange Kodak envelopes for free processing, but what will happen if I post them to the Deer Park Road address on the free processing envelopes? Will they still process them for free after all these years?

The 'best before' date on the sound film was 1987, and the 'best before' date on the silent was 2004...

Thanks David Alp

UK

#2 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

I have just used up my final stocks of super 8 that have been kept in the freezer for about 4 or 5 years now... I had 4 Kodachrome 40 Sound films and 4 Kodachrome 40 silent (both super 8)... Anyway, I've not used super 8 since 2002 as have been very very discouraged from using it since Kodak discontinued the sound stock :angry: . I sort of just 'walked away' from super 8 film-making... But I knew it was taking up space in the freezer so I shot a movie... Anyway, I still have the orange Kodak envelopes for free processing, but what will happen if I post them to the Deer Park Road address on the free processing envelopes? Will they still process them for free after all these years?

The 'best before' date on the sound film was 1987, and the 'best before' date on the silent was 2004...

Thanks David Alp

UK

Haha, weird coincidence. I just started a thread asking almost exactly the same as you a mere 25 minutes before you... !

http://www.cinematog...n...0092&mode=t

Let's see if either us can attract the answer.

(I think in england now our best bet is the Widescreen Centre, Dorset St., London)

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

Haha, weird coincidence. I just started a thread asking almost exactly the same as you a mere 25 minutes before you... !

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...0092&mode=t

Let's see if either us can attract the answer.

(I think in england now our best bet is the Widescreen Centre, Dorset St., London)

I don't know if Kodak in Rochestor will have anything to do with Kodachrome at this point, however the only lab in the world that still processes kodachrome 40 is Dwaynes lab in Parson's Kansas. The processing price is reasonable and their return shipping rates are reasonable as well. (even their fed-ex rates are very affordable.)

#4 David Alp

David Alp

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

Yes but I've still got the original kodak orange envelopes which state "Film Price Includes Processing by Kodak".

#5 Michael Waite

Michael Waite
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

Yes but I've still got the original kodak orange envelopes which state "Film Price Includes Processing by Kodak".

Kodak no longer honour the pre paid Super 8 K40. They did until recently, when they still had the lab in Switzerland running. Once that closed that was the end of pre paid. Now you'll have to send it to Dwayne's in Kansas & pay them. As someone else noted their charges are reasonable, approx $9 per roll.

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

As of 29th September 2006 processing through Kodak's Lausanne lab has been discontinued.

#7 David Alp

David Alp

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

You're joking! They surely can't do that when it clearly states "Film price Includes Processing by Kodak", I can maybe accept the sound film that goes back to 1987, but not the silent stock which had a 'use by' date of 2003 and 2004. What happens if I play dumb and just post them off in the envelopes provided?

#8 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

What happens if I play dumb and just post them off in the envelopes provided?

In this case, you will receive the cartridge within the envelopes back from Switzerland (where all Kodak S8 mail-ins are still channelled to) as "return to sender", with a nice note from Kodak stating that processing of K-40 has been discontinued by the Eastman Kodak Company and that Dwayne's (details given in this thread above) can be contacted for processing. The letter suggests you send it to Dwayne's given address and pay the reasonably-priced cost of 9 USD.

If I were you, I would suggest not to play dumb. It's not worth to have your film material travel around the planet at least once for considerable time, esp. as K-40 should be processed relatively quickly after exposure.

You're joking! They surely can't do that when it clearly states "Film price Includes Processing by Kodak", I can maybe accept the sound film that goes back to 1987, but not the silent stock which had a 'use by' date of 2003 and 2004.

Some people in Germany think the same and have placed a class-action lawsuit against Kodak for honouring the statement given on the developing envelope. It is currently discussed and I will keep you posted about the process as I know these people personally. However, my realistic assessement would be not to put any hope into this. There is a fine line between dillusion and hope, esp. as Kodak will be putting forward the legal position that the claim for processing is implicitly linked to the expiration date given on packaging, and the closure of the Lausanne lab coincided with the last batch's expiration date.

#9 Michael Waite

Michael Waite
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

What happens if I play dumb and just post them off in the envelopes provided?

I know a guy who did that this year & it was returned to him by Kodak with a form letter saying they don't handle it anymore. This was in Australia but it's probably the same everywhere else. If you want to see your pictures, send it to Dwayne's.

#10 David Alp

David Alp

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

Oh God, I'm pretty annoyed bigtime!!! Anyone got the phone number for Dwaynes

#11 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

(620) 421-3940

#12 David Alp

David Alp

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the number Matthew...

This is not acceptable, I think Kodak should pay for Dwaynes to develop the film.. I really do.. I think its outragous that I am going to have to pay $63, plus postage, for something that is supposed to be free, or rather pre-paid for. I have already paid Kodak, (in the price of purchasing the film), for processing, so I'm not paying twice..

Edited by David Alp, 28 October 2007 - 08:33 PM.

#13 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

anyone who was a regular user of kodachrome was given enough notification of kodaks plans to cease super 8 processing. kodak even extended the deadline for super 8 processing from may 2006 till september 2006. The super 8 user had something like 18 months from the date super 8 k40 was axed until the lab shut. The 16mm k/c user was given approx 6 months notice that the lab would close. It was reported at the time that the Swiss lab was due to close in Dec 2006, but infact closed in Sep 2006. I still have around 50 rolls of process paid double super 8 k25/40, yeh, i've paid for processing, but i'm not waisting time trying to claim back processing cost.. My opinion is, every k/c user was given enough notice, so there's no excuse at all for missing the boat. BTW, with the closure of the Swiss lab, there is actually no kodak certified super 8 k/c lab left in the world, Dwaynes can process super 8 k40, but Dwaynes is not certified, there 16mm k/c processing is kodak certified.

#14 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the number Matthew...

This is not acceptable, I think Kodak should pay for Dwaynes to develop the film.. I really do.. I think its outragous that I am going to have to pay $63, plus postage, for something that is supposed to be free, or rather pre-paid for. I have already paid Kodak, (in the price of purchasing the film), for processing, so I'm not paying twice..

The remaining labs are our friends, The remaining labs are our friends, The remaining labs are our friends...

keep saying it until you get it.

#15 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

:P :D :lol: :lol:

:o

:huh:

:mellow: