#1 Matthew Espenshade

Matthew Espenshade

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:45 AM

Hello, I am still new to this site so I didn't know if I should put this under 35mm, camera's, or lenses, but anyway.

I am shooting a short film pretty soon which we hope to send to festivals. Our hope is to shoot Anamorphic 35mm, I was able to find an affordable camera package which includes the old soviet Elite anamorphics. I've heard good things about them, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some imput about experiences with these lenses, or tests, anything. Obviously I'll test as much as I can myself, but we don't have enough of a budget to run a whole lot of film through the camera for testing.

Also, being that it is my first time going anamorphic I was wondering if there is anything else that I should be aware of going into post. The current plan is to get an SD uncompressed transfer and then strike an anamorphic print when we go to festivals with a photochemical finish. Right now, I guess I'm just asking for advice. Anything you could give me would be great. Thanks.

Edited by Matthew Espenshade, 26 October 2007 - 01:47 AM.

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:54 AM

They are not that old actually, they got released this millenium. Compared to the Hawks and Panavision lenses, they breathe more and show more barrel distortion. They don't flare too easily since the anamorphic element is in the middle, of the lens, so you won't get any blue horizontal flares. Like all anamorphic lenses you will see an improvement in optical quality if you close them down at least two stops. That will help your sharpness (especially in the corners) and increase the contrast. The Elites are heavy, so be careful if you are doing handheld or steadicam. You can find more info in the FAQ in the Lens Forum.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Opal

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

CineLab